Ratio of Robusta to Arabica in Espresso Blends? - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
SL28ave

#11: Post by SL28ave »

danblev wrote: In my case I use only 100% Arabica.
For me the taste of Robusta is like tasteless rubber.
Same here, every time. I was getting sulphur parallel to rotten eggs in the last award winning Robusta I tasted. Though, to me, most Arabicas are nothing to sing about either.

I'll save the long editorial. But I think that absurd, yet beguiling and powerful, hype runs much of the "specialty" coffee world.
"Few, but ripe." -Carl Friedrich Gauss

CaffeFresco

#12: Post by CaffeFresco »

Fresco IS Pure Arabica.
SL28ave wrote:I'll save the long editorial. But I think that absurd, yet beguiling and powerful, hype runs much of the "specialty" coffee world.
Peter, as a young roaster & businessman I do value what you have to say, & I'd love to hear at least one prime example of what you think is the hype that runs much of the Specialty Coffee World ~ pray tell away.

TonyS
Regards,

Tony Sciandra

http://www.caffefresco.us

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
King Seven

#13: Post by King Seven »

SL28ave wrote:Same here, every time. I was getting sulphur parallel to rotten eggs in the last award winning Robusta I tasted. Though, to me, most Arabicas are nothing to sing about either.
Thats right - it's all about coffea stenophylla these days baby......

;)

User avatar
paradiseroasters

#14: Post by paradiseroasters »

the so called purple coffee? is this being commercially grown anywhere? has any one actually seen it let alone tasted coffees produced from it. I've only heard of it being in government varietal collections
Brian Foster
Paradise Coffee Roasters

SL28ave

#15: Post by SL28ave »

CaffeFresco wrote:Fresco IS Pure Arabica.



Peter, as a young roaster & businessman I do value what you have to say, & I'd love to hear at least one prime example of what you think is the hype that runs much of the Specialty Coffee World ~ pray tell away.

TonyS
Yikes, I have to back up what I say?!? :) You're taking off my muzzle?

(Hype is easy for anyone to claim. My hype isn't Joe's hype. So my position on hype is inherently vulnerable. Many constraints make it impossible to find a healthy resolution without great struggle. So I'm barely interested in arguing any of this here and now.)

I relate a lot to my new school vision of coffee heaven, which helps me define something as hype. Here're two examples that come to mind now.

1. Most specialty coffees are praised. Most specialty coffees are ruined somewhere from seed to cup.

Ruiners (Makers when they're tended to): seed, cultivar, planting method, pruning, altitude, temperature, soil, rains, nutrition, microbiology, harvest method, sorting, ripeness, separations, process method, drying, cup analysis, cupping, parchment storage, transport, warehouse storage, roast (and its 50 variables), grind size, brew dynamics, strength, perverse preconceptions... and all the other "ruiners" I'm missing... How can I say what I want to without being condescending? I can't. So many people act like they're experts when we're mostly very clueless; everyone. So most specialty coffees are hype. Variations of the same "Liquid Muzaq" and John Cage. Seriously worse than where the wine industry was 100 years ago or longer! All together now: let's self-flagellate! :twisted: .........

2. Anti-SO notions.

Sheer misinformation is another form of hype. Moving forward will involve the deconstruction of that kind of hype, which should always be a relief!

------

Please don't take my negativity for granted. The negativity stemmed from thinking about Robustas. As opposed to a great Bourbon. I live for that great sip of a perfect brew, probably from Kenya, and I love its world.
King Seven wrote: Thats right - it's all about coffea stenophylla these days baby......
Yeah, all about the Stenophylla. Purple fruit are so pretty! What else matters?
"Few, but ripe." -Carl Friedrich Gauss

User avatar
TUS172

#16: Post by TUS172 »

One interesting home blend that I have used for lattes for my wife is with 10% Vietnamese (Arabica) well that is what it was advertised as but I now know it was a robusta. (gambling on Ebay) I roast it to a full city+ darkness. It makes for an interesting kick and I love it for show; my friends are amazed to see the crema (90+%) when I pull one. But as a straight espresso shot it needs some sweetener because it can be pretty sharp... Even with an excellent Brazilian and Costa Rican base blend...
I use it for some coffee blends at a 10% rate also... I have to use up the 50 lbs I purchased. It is almost gone now and I doubt that I will play with robustas anymore. For years I have used Indian Monsooned Malabar at a 10% blending with other coffees and been extremely pleased with the results. Oh well, its all in what your palate prefers isn't it?
Bob C.
(No longer a lever purist!)
LMWDP #012

User avatar
timo888 (original poster)

#17: Post by timo888 (original poster) »

danblev wrote:There was an old thread somewhere that divided Espresso people to those that use Robusta and those that don't.
And if you are drinking anything else it is only 100% Arabica.

In my case I use only 100% Arabica.
For me the taste of Robusta is like tasteless rubber.
I am not against robusta on principle though I have smelled the brimstone. Months ago, I pulled a delicious lungo with Paradise Roaster's India Sitara ground fairly coarsely, tamped quite heavily, and pulled fairly gently on my Caravel.

Regards
Timo

Baratza: skilled in the art of grinding
Sponsored by Baratza
Arto

#18: Post by Arto »

Everything from 0 % to 100 % is pretty common :-)

The best ones of the commercial blends I have tasted have always had some robusta. Like Mauro De Luxe with ~ 10 % robusta is a very nice traditional espresso to my taste. Mauro's Onda d'Oro and Concerto are two blends with higher robusta-percentages and are very nice. There are also some 100 % arabica blends the folks here in Sweden are enjoying. Like Johan & Nystroms 5 Estate. The more common mainstream blends from Danesi should have a fair amount of robusta too (no fact).

Greetings from Sweden

poison

#19: Post by poison »

SL28ave wrote:Yikes, I have to back up what I say?!? You're taking off my muzzle?

(Hype is easy for anyone to claim. My hype isn't Joe's hype. So my position on hype is inherently vulnerable. Many constraints make it impossible to find a healthy resolution without great struggle. So I'm barely interested in arguing any of this here and now.)

I relate a lot to my new school vision of coffee heaven, which helps me define something as hype. Here're two examples that come to mind now.

1. Most specialty coffees are praised. Most specialty coffees are ruined somewhere from seed to cup.

Ruiners (Makers when they're tended to): seed, cultivar, planting method, pruning, altitude, temperature, soil, rains, nutrition, microbiology, harvest method, sorting, ripeness, separations, process method, drying, cup analysis, cupping, parchment storage, transport, warehouse storage, roast (and its 50 variables), grind size, brew dynamics, strength, perverse preconceptions... and all the other "ruiners" I'm missing... How can I say what I want to without being condescending? I can't. So many people act like they're experts when we're mostly very clueless; everyone. So most specialty coffees are hype. Variations of the same "Liquid Muzaq" and John Cage. Seriously worse than where the wine industry was 100 years ago or longer! All together now: let's self-flagellate! .........

2. Anti-SO notions.

Sheer misinformation is another form of hype. Moving forward will involve the deconstruction of that kind of hype, which should always be a relief!

------

Please don't take my negativity for granted. The negativity stemmed from thinking about Robustas. As opposed to a great Bourbon. I live for that great sip of a perfect brew, probably from Kenya, and I love its world.



Bwaahaahaaa, how did I miss this post? :snorffle:


I'll buy that, at least most of it. I'd like to hear your 'all bets off, condescending' version. Here: :holds out personal flame suit:

SL28ave

#20: Post by SL28ave »

poison wrote:Bwaahaahaaa, how did I miss this post? :snorffle:


I'll buy that, at least most of it. I'd like to hear your 'all bets off, condescending' version. Here: :holds out personal flame suit:
Yeah, a lot of it should be bought in to but I definitely want to approach things in a better, more proper fashion from now on. Sorry if I offended anyone; and sorry for boring you with a very slight change of mind.
"Few, but ripe." -Carl Friedrich Gauss