Questions on an unopened coffee bag that is 24 days post roast - Page 3

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
chanty 77 (original poster)

#21: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

JohnB. wrote:We live in a 270 year old house with no ac near the coffeebar but I haven't noticed that issue. My roasted coffee lives in the freezer until I'm ready for a shot so it doesn't get much time to acclimate to the household humidity before it's heading for the knock box.
Maybe your freezing does help. I again have my reasons for not freezing. Also, if you have a/c other places in the house--maybe it still helps. This has just been something I noticed over the almost 30 years we've lived here in the hottest & humid days. It's better with my "better" equipment but still notice it somewhat.

TomC
Team HB

#22: Post by TomC »

chanty 77 wrote:Thanks for all that. So far, I don't notice a dive in flavor, just needing to add more grams of beans. Now humidity is something that is a killer at times. We have NO a/c in our 1929 year old home, and today & tomorrow in Milwaukee,

chanty 77 wrote:I don't understand it really, but I know living in a 1929 year old home with no air conditioning ....."

Not a jab at all, but twice you've written that your home is nearly 2000 years old. :lol: John Borella doesn't even have that beat.

Anyway, thank you for the chuckle and I hope you get it all sorted.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement

#23: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

TomC wrote:

Not a jab at all, but twice you've written that your home is nearly 2000 years old. :lol: John Borella doesn't even have that beat.

Anyway, thank you for the chuckle and I hope you get it all sorted.
Didn't mean 2000 year old home, '1929' meaning BUILT in 1929. Should have said living in a home BUILT in 1929.

jpender

#24: Post by jpender »

I noticed that too but figured the heat was affecting your brain. We knew what you meant...

It's irrelevant anyway. Our house is nearly as old and has no a/c or insulation. The windows are single pane. But although the humidity is high the temperature is moderate.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by yakster »

My buddy in KY is telling me it's 84 F and 82% rH, real feel 92 F because of all the humidity.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

harris

#26: Post by harris »

Real feel in MKE today was 111*F. I'd be curious to read about your results tomorrow.

#27: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) replying to harris »

By us (we are about 2 1/2 miles from Lake Michigan) real feel got up to about 101° when I checked. Thankfully, being closer to the lake helps us to some degree. Still hot no matter what way you slice it. We have a Dyson tower fan going in the living room & a normal fan in our bedroom. We be tough ones.

Advertisement
BaristaBob

#28: Post by BaristaBob »

There was mention here that maybe the one-way valve "leaks". This could certainly be the case, as I read an article (can't recall which coffee magazine right now) but the article stated that after testing a couple hundred valves nearly half failed. You might want to place a piece of tape over the valve until you open the bag. It can't hurt to try this simple experiment. Trapping the CO2 inside will preserve the quality of the beans.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

#29: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) replying to BaristaBob »

Thank you, will try this!

#30: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

BaristaBob wrote:There was mention here that maybe the one-way valve "leaks". This could certainly be the case, as I read an article (can't recall which coffee magazine right now) but the article stated that after testing a couple hundred valves nearly half failed. You might want to place a piece of tape over the valve until you open the bag. It can't hurt to try this simple experiment. Trapping the CO2 inside will preserve the quality of the beans.
The bags from the companies I used and will start to use in a couple days do not have the valve on the bag. They have the zip pull bags.