Question about coffee roast dates

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
karenst

#1: Post by karenst »

I'm very new to brewing. I just got a Breville Oracle for the semi-automatic features and especially the milk frother.

I've been doing a lot of reading here. Looking through the lists of everyone's top 5 coffees, I selected a couple that recurred in multiple lists. One of them was Counter Culture. I ordered one of their medium roast coffees and received it today. Opened it up and it didn't smell very fresh, so I looked at the roasted date. It was roasted 11 months ago. Is that typical when ordering online from higher end roasting houses? I'm really, really disappointed. It doesn't really smell much better than a can of folgers or hills brothers. I really don't think I even want to put it in my grinder to try it.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

No, that's just wrong. Take a pic of the bag and e-mail them. I would tell them to send you a new bag.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

karenst wrote:It was roasted 11 months ago.
This doesn't make sense. Counter Culture Coffee doesn't stock roasted coffee; like the majority of online roasters, they literally roast and ship the same day. Was this shipped directly from Counter Culture Coffee or another vendor? If the latter, then all bets are off.
Dan Kehn