Proper way to drink espresso? - Page 3

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
woodchuck

#21: Post by woodchuck »

Sip Sip gulp. Three different tastes. All good on a sweet pull.

Cheers

Ian

RonTheMan

#22: Post by RonTheMan »

Do you guys add sugar to your espresso? I normally drink mine without.

Advertisement
frege

#23: Post by frege »

I almost always add a little sugar (one level demitasse spoonful)- I used to put two- yes two- packet of sugar in mine. That's too much, but I will go to the mat with anybody who says I'm less of a coffee geek for preferring a little sugar. I consider sugar part of the beverage, but too much masks everything.

Now having said that, I had a very palatable espresso at Phil + Sebastian in Calgary last weekend with no sugar. It was Hines, was very fresh (gas bubbles fresh, 2 days post roast), AND I had just had a homemade pecan-choco-caramel from somebody else at the farmers' market where P+S are. This suggested to me that a little residual or accompanying sweetness was a good thing too.
LMWDP #119

Martin

#24: Post by Martin »

Castelio wrote:I saw this done in Sicily. You drink the water first to cleanse your palate, then drink the espresso. You want the coffee taste on your tongue and in your mouth. Don't drink the water afterwards!
Cafe Luxxe serves water with their shots. And yes, drinking some water before the coffee gives quite a different character to whatever shot you might have. I'm surprised there isn't more emphasis on this in all the cupping-related advice that's given. I suspect that certain flavor components are more accessible when starting with a more neutral palate.

Regarding other posts here and elsewhere on "how to" and sugar v. no-sugar, I compare the sugar issue to my photography experience. I have a deep and visceral preference for black and white photos. I seem to notice and relate to those elements that are most important to me in B/W. However, when I do a side-by-side comparison with a B/W and its color version, I am often drawn to the color as "prettier," more striking. Separating the two with some time and distance, I go back to the b/w preference.

What to make of this? Maybe, if you have a preference for added sweetener, you can't make a proper judgment on the basis of just a few shots because these are likely to fare poorly compared to the sweetened ones. Cold turkey, no sugar, for a week? Possibly you'd start to discover the "added value" of a straight shot.

Martin

Jasonian

#25: Post by Jasonian »

HB wrote:I've never had a fine espresso at a fine restaurant, so I can only assume the water was a safeguard against an unfortunate aftertaste. On the other hand, it's standard practice in Vienna: A silver tray, small glass of water, cafe creme. I drank the water when I got thirsty, which happened faster in smoky cafes. Perhaps your fine restaurant wanted to emulate the Viennese custom?
From my experiences, water can enhance certain parts of the aftertaste. It doesn't work that way with every coffee, but sometimes, the water makes the aftertaste far more enjoyable.
"Pro" coffee roaster. Ex barista trainer, competitor, consultant.

Jasonian

#26: Post by Jasonian »

Martin wrote:Cafe Luxxe serves water with their shots. And yes, drinking some water before the coffee gives quite a different character to whatever shot you might have. I'm surprised there isn't more emphasis on this in all the cupping-related advice that's given. I suspect that certain flavor components are more accessible when starting with a more neutral palate.

Regarding other posts here and elsewhere on "how to" and sugar v. no-sugar, I compare the sugar issue to my photography experience. I have a deep and visceral preference for black and white photos. I seem to notice and relate to those elements that are most important to me in B/W. However, when I do a side-by-side comparison with a B/W and its color version, I am often drawn to the color as "prettier," more striking. Separating the two with some time and distance, I go back to the b/w preference.

What to make of this? Maybe, if you have a preference for added sweetener, you can't make a proper judgment on the basis of just a few shots because these are likely to fare poorly compared to the sweetened ones. Cold turkey, no sugar, for a week? Possibly you'd start to discover the "added value" of a straight shot.

Martin
Well, that's one way of looking at it. That is, of course, assuming that "with sugar" is the accepted standard practice. To you, I'll say that sugar can actually heighten the perception of certain subtle flavors in certain coffees.

Personally, I fall into your category, but my girlfriend must have sugar in her coffee. Period. I always taste both for comparison purposes. I've been surprised more often than I've been disappointed.

It's worth a try.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#27: Post by cannonfodder replying to Jasonian »

My personal opinion, if it is worth drinking, it is worth drinking neat. Like a good steak, if you have to cover it with steak sauce, it must have not been that good to start with. But that is my taste, YMMV.

I also occasionally take a small sip of water after drinking an espresso. Not to water it down or wash away the taste, but sometimes it lightens the flavor and other tastes become apparent especially with a deep heavy espresso.
Dave Stephens

Advertisement
Jasonian

#28: Post by Jasonian »

Dave, I agree with you.

My reference to adding sugar is like the reason we (you and I) drink some water after the espresso. Different flavors can become more apparent than they were otherwise.

frege

#29: Post by frege »

cannonfodder wrote:My personal opinion, if it is worth drinking, it is worth drinking neat. Like a good steak, if you have to cover it with steak sauce, it must have not been that good to start with. But that is my taste, YMMV.
I don't agree with this comparison. "Steak sauce" is a monstrosity that makes all "steak" taste the same. But a steak with NO seasoning? That's a monstrosity too. It needs a little S&P, and a sauce that marries well with steak- heck, even plain butter- enhances the experience.

As to "if it's worth drinking, it's worth drinking neat": a straight espresso with a little sugar IS "neat" because sugar is (for me and millions and millions of other people) part of the beverage. Nobody dumps sugar in scotch (I don't think they do, anyway) because that would be preposterous. Adding milk or hot water is what makes espresso non "neat" and is what you'd compare to straight scotch vs one with soda, for me anyway, but I detest espresso without, if not sugar, something sweet in the side.
LMWDP #119

cannonfodder
Team HB

#30: Post by cannonfodder »

I am by no means condemning the use of sugar, milk, or higher proof addition to ones beverage of choice, everyone has different tastes. Hence the 'but that is my taste' disclaimer. To each his (or her) own, as long you enjoy what you drink, nothing else really matters.
Dave Stephens