Preference for Natural, Washed or Honey processed coffee.

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
redbone

#1: Post by redbone »

Lately I've been liking honey processed coffee or so I thought until I was surprised with a V.G. washed S.W. decaf.
Does anyone find a preference for a processing type, can you tell or does it depend on the coffee?
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

No real preference, I like to change things up every once in a while.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Kaffee Bitte

#3: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

I love naturals or honey over wet process. I enjoy wet process coffees but naturals tend to be the cups I say "wow" for. Guess I like the weirdness.
I can't always taste the difference between honey and wet process, but I can with naturals. They just have their own flavor profile and a different mouthfeel. Naturals are the sort of coffee I like to drink from about 72 hours post roast all the way through peak and back down to the trough. It's fun to taste the changes by day. I don't enjoy wet process once it's troughing, at least with most, outliers for me tend to be peaberries. Never met a peaberry I didn't love.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

Chert

#4: Post by Chert »

Kaffee Bitte wrote:... Never met a peaberry I didn't love.
Sumatra peaberry doppio for me at lunch today.
LMWDP #198

Kaffee Bitte

#5: Post by Kaffee Bitte replying to Chert »

Drools a little. A Sumatran longberry peaberry I had a decade ago is still one of my best ever shots. I can still remember the taste.
Last week I had a guatamalan peaberry that every shot was thunderous in it's body. I am going to grab another bag of it today.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

Mbb

#6: Post by Mbb »

Washed, washed, and washed.

Naturals are just funky.
They got a weird rotten fruit driven smell and taste.
All of them

I've had a few that were okay most of them are ick

I guess I've had a couple of honey that were okay . One particular washed was actually allowed to bake in the sun for a luttle while with its fruit on it... And it was really good, kind of a accentuated some of its flavors , but Not enough to ruin it with that funky natural taste

My test what is good is simply, do I want to drink this everyday?
Don't confuse unique or interesting etc, with good.
It is not the same thing

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by Milligan »

I haven't found the processing to make a strong blanket impact on how I feel on a coffee. I enjoy each for their unique qualities. I will say some of the anaerobic coffees have been interesting but not something I'd want to drink daily. I akin it to an imperial stout, good on occasion but definitely don't want it every time. I tend to like the clarity of washed more in general if I was forced to pick one.

Kaffee Bitte

#8: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

Mbb wrote:Washed, washed, and washed.

Naturals are just funky.
They got a weird rotten fruit driven smell and taste.
All of them

I've had a few that were okay most of them are ick

I guess I've had a couple of honey that were okay . One particular washed was actually allowed to bake in the sun for a luttle while with its fruit on it... And it was really good, kind of a accentuated some of its flavors , but Not enough to ruin it with that funky natural taste

My test what is good is simply, do I want to drink this everyday?
Don't confuse unique or interesting etc, with good.
It is not the same thing
The fruit ferment is definitely forward on naturals. I like it for light-medium to medium roasts. Better than citric acid fruit that a bright and light washed can trend towards. I do like washed coffees that tend towards the stone fruits though.

A good picked and sized washed coffee makes for a good daily starter. Even roast, good feed into grinder and nice grind once dialed. Consistent cup through the bag. If you wake a bit slowly that sure can help.

Naturals I like because I can alter a bit wider to search for different fruits or other notes. And sometimes when the planets align or you get a few perfect beans, you can pull a shot that you remember for years. That last part may be my machine though.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

mkane
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by mkane »

We roast 5 washed coffees to one Natural. Funky 1/5th of the time. I find them easy to roast dark the way my wife likes coffee compared to washed.

Scott-ishBrewer

#10: Post by Scott-ishBrewer »

Semi-wash specialty coffee can be interesting but they are pretty rare and can be very particular in the way they needed to be brewed. It is said that they have larger pores than other processes but I am too lazy to find the actual studies so take it as a grain of salt.

Anyways, my favorite is fullwash since its clean and the ones most likely you can extract the most.