Portland and Los Angeles Coffee

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Tacit37

#1: Post by Tacit37 »

I just came back from visiting Portland and tried some of their roasters like Proud Mary and Coava. My experience is that the taste profile comes out bland compared to the roasters here in LA. Is there a local taste profile that is shared by roasters or was it an isolated experience?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

Are you saying that the coffee you were served while in Portland came out bland or the coffee you picked up in Portland and brewed in Los Angeles upon your return tasted bland? If it's the latter I'm wondering if there's a difference in the brew water that may be affecting the taste of the coffee from Portland.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Advertisement
cafeIKE

#3: Post by cafeIKE »

It's been a while since I was in LA, but Stumptown was better in LA than Portland.

Many big shops use water treatment, so that can have an effect.

Try Sterling when next in Portland. Haven't had an off shot there in about 15 years...
'cept for CoViD crappy paper cups - B L E C C H :evil:

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by JB90068 »

Tacit37 wrote:I just came back from visiting Portland and tried some of their roasters like Proud Mary and Coava. My experience is that the taste profile comes out bland compared to the roasters here in LA. Is there a local taste profile that is shared by roasters or was it an isolated experience?
Just out of curiosity, which places do you like in LA? Im always looking to expand my horizons here.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

Tacit37 (original poster)

#5: Post by Tacit37 (original poster) »

I had a cup of latte from each place and also bought a bag of beans from each place. I always choose Ethiopian single origin. And it was bland for me there and at home. Not sure why. Good point about the water though.

Thanks I will try Sterling Coffee next time!

I'm in Pasadena so my current go to if I'm not at home is Two Kids Coffee (they don't roast though) and Klatch Coffee.

cibby
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by cibby »

Has there ever been an HB member sourced map of roasters and shops folks like?

Robph914

#7: Post by Robph914 »

The next time you're in Portland definitely try out Heart. I agree with the poster who mentioned Sterling too!