Poor person's freshest coffee choice - Page 3

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Ben Z.

#21: Post by Ben Z. »

For budget coffee, it's hard not to recommend happy mug. $11/lb delivered if you buy 4 lbs at a time.

Jeff
Team HB

#22: Post by Jeff »

I think it is worth looking into Happy Mug's attitude toward customers and making your own decision.

Ben Z.

#23: Post by Ben Z. replying to Jeff »

Are they dicks? I've ordered dozens of times. Usually shows up in 2 days and one time they sent us someone else's order and immediately replaced it once I let them know.

Jeff
Team HB

#24: Post by Jeff »

acman8

#25: Post by acman8 »

It won't be an option for everyone but by far the cheapest way I have found to purchase high quality roasted coffee is by accessing the wholesale pricing from local coffee roasters that provide beans to other coffee shops, stores, etc. typically the discount is very significant - 50% off retail cost. So around $10-12/lb for most of the non-exotic blends and single origins on offer from that particular roaster.

Having access to the wholesale pricing would require that you are either buying beans for a coffee shop or other resale operation - small store, farmer's market, coffee trailer, etc. and set up a wholesale account with the roaster to purchase their beans for use in that venture or that you know somebody very well that already has a wholesale account and is willing to include you when ordering at their cost.
Aaron

Ben Z.

#26: Post by Ben Z. »

I had no idea. Jfc. Can't believe I've recommended them multiple times.

Every business gets bad customers. This guy chose like the worst way to deal with it. I've spent well over a grand with them and spoke highly of them. Makes me feel stupid.

KarlInSanDiego (original poster)

#27: Post by KarlInSanDiego (original poster) »

Thanks for all the suggestions, especially the long thoughtful ones. My wife shopped today, and I suggested she buy some variety with multiple hoppers, shooting for that obvious factor of more throughput = fresher beans. We'll see how that turns out. If it were up to me alone, I might pay more for better beans, but we've got tight purse strings on our consumables budget for good reason. Living below your means requires discipline, and I'm thankful we manage that. I don't mean to sound like we're struggling. Just not in a good place to burn money on even homemade coffee. I can't imagine how much money people spend getting coffee out once or twice a day.

BodieZoffa

#28: Post by BodieZoffa »

Ben Z. wrote:I had no idea. Jfc. Can't believe I've recommended them multiple times.

Every business gets bad customers. This guy chose like the worst way to deal with it. I've spent well over a grand with them and spoke highly of them. Makes me feel stupid.
I wouldn't be bothered by it and will continue to source green from them if something I like pops up. No doubt we all have less-than-great days and will lash out easily and absolutely no doubt the customer isn't always right. Numerous times I ordered from them I got great quality green at very fair prices, packed nicely and delivered in a very good time frame. Few times I asked questions about their offerings they were super responsive and quite friendly in the process. Also like how open they are with the green offerings and are very honest with descriptions instead of sugar coating like other sellers tend to do.

jpender

#29: Post by jpender »

Yes, coffee is expensive. Housing, food, energy, healthcare, etc. are all expensive and getting more so.

But those are necessities. Coffee isn't. If cheap coffee isn't working consider just giving it up for the time being. You don't really need it. Did you drink it as a child?

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#30: Post by buckersss »

2nd the home roast idea. I think I made up the cost of my fresh roast + ext tube in 1.5 years.

I was buying beans at around $10-$12 usd for half pound roasted. The beans I buy now are $4usd half pound.

I did not, and do not currently, do it for the cash savings. I enjoy it. I want beans fresh off roast, I like having them stocked so I don't have to go out and buy them. For me I think there is value in moving up to a 600g electric roaster, but this is for convenience only.

the value proposition of the sr800 + ext tube is hard to beat imo.