Please give examples of coffee Passenger sends out in subscription, considering Sey and Wendelboe too

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Acavia

#1: Post by Acavia »

Any Passenger "reserve lot" subscribers?

What are some recent coffees you have received? There is a list under Passenger's subscription that gives examples of what could be sent, but I would like to know what others have received actually.

I am also considering Sey and Wendelboe. Sey seems as though it would be the most varied, but I would need to do a longer prepaid to get the same value as Passenger's pricing and even then Passenger is slightly cheaper per gram. Wendelboe will be a little more plus no tracking on shipments, a situation I do not like.

Dav

#2: Post by Dav »

I just subscribed to Sey and get 2x different coffees from them a month. My first shipment this month I received a bag of Janja Hill washed from Rwanda and Astrid Medina washed from Colombia. I'm reserving judgement until I get a bigger sample size, but have been pleasantly surprised so far.

I previously subscribed to Wendelboe, and although the coffees were what I would consider excellent, the non-tracking and shipping to my home left a lot to be desired. From shipping to receipt, my orders took on average 12-14 days to get. One month it took almost 3 weeks for me to get my order - of course all untracked, so there is no visibility into where things were in the overall process after they shipped. Their customer service response seemed almost like an "oh well - it's out of our hands" type of a response, so make of that what you will.

I know you didn't ask specifically about Sey or Wendelboe, but hoping my experiences help to guide you to a decision - especially if you're in the USA.

mbbrew

#3: Post by mbbrew »

I know this is a bit left field, but the Hatch subscription is a good option if you like Nordic roasts and want something in North America. I actually find there is something about their roasting style that is more similar to the good Nordic roasters than Sey or Passenger, in that they are easy to extract even though they are very light. I live in PA and Passenger is good but I am not sure if it is something I would want every month.

Ejquin

#4: Post by Ejquin »

Wendelboe is great, as long as you have other coffee around regularly and aren't depending on it to get to you by a certain time. I have more than one subscription so the TW coffee just shows up whenever it shows up and I'm not too worried about it. All the coffee is really good and sometimes spectacular. I also subscribe to Luna and love their coffees as well. Roasted light and always good. Dayglow is a good option if you want to try from different roasters and see which you like. They often source from nordic style roasters. Another good option would be the right roast which also sources from different international roasters: https://therightroast.com/

Acavia (original poster)

#5: Post by Acavia (original poster) »

Dav wrote:I just subscribed to Sey and get 2x different coffees from them a month. My first shipment this month I received a bag of Janja Hill washed from Rwanda and Astrid Medina washed from Colombia. I'm reserving judgement until I get a bigger sample size, but have been pleasantly surprised so far.

I previously subscribed to Wendelboe, and although the coffees were what I would consider excellent, the non-tracking and shipping to my home left a lot to be desired. From shipping to receipt, my orders took on average 12-14 days to get. One month it took almost 3 weeks for me to get my order - of course all untracked, so there is no visibility into where things were in the overall process after they shipped. Their customer service response seemed almost like an "oh well - it's out of our hands" type of a response, so make of that what you will.

I know you didn't ask specifically about Sey or Wendelboe, but hoping my experiences help to guide you to a decision - especially if you're in the USA.
Thanks it backs me leanings. I also got those two Sey coffees. Very good. I got a chocolate-cream bomb out of the Janja Hill in a brew I went coarser and 18:1, likely over-extracted first few. Astrid Medina has also been very good.

I would be afraid of the Wendelboe without tracking. It might be late or could be lost so I would not know how to plan for my coffee brewing not knowing.

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by PIXIllate »

mbbrew wrote:I know this is a bit left field, but the Hatch subscription is a good option if you like Nordic roasts and want something in North America. I actually find there is something about their roasting style that is more similar to the good Nordic roasters than Sey or Passenger, in that they are easy to extract even though they are very light. I live in PA and Passenger is good but I am not sure if it is something I would want every month.
I second this. I've tried just about every high quality roaster in Canada and Hatch is really impressive. They have a wide selection with things like their Gamma being a very well executed Italian style espresso to the recent 720 hour fermented Geisha filter roast that made for some hair raising espressos. I've become a fan and will be buying from them regularly. I've also just started a 3 bag Tim Wendelboe espresso subscription that should start next week.

Acavia (original poster)

#7: Post by Acavia (original poster) »

Dav wrote:I just subscribed to Sey and get 2x different coffees from them a month. My first shipment this month I received a bag of Janja Hill washed from Rwanda and Astrid Medina washed from Colombia. I'm reserving judgement until I get a bigger sample size, but have been pleasantly surprised so far.

Hi, how did March go with Sey?

I think I am going to get a Sey 2/month subscription, so wondering how your second month went. Also, how would you compare your first four Sey coffees to Wendelboe in general?

Dav

#8: Post by Dav »

Acavia wrote: Hi, how did March go with Sey?

I am think I am going to get a Sey 2/month subscription, so wondering how your second month went. Also, how would you compare your first four Sey coffees to Wendelboe in general?
The 2x subscription with Sey in March was interesting. I received a Washed Castillo Tambo from Rubiela Velazquez in Colombia and a Washed Typica from Laura Rivera from Colombia. The Castillo Tambo was why I think I would say this month was interesting - it wasn't my favorite I've had (subjectively), but that was more because of my personal flavor preferences than anything wrong with the roast. I still found this coffee to be a valuable experience, and I'm happy I got to try it. It was worth it for me, and I can't say I was disappointed in any way. I have also found that letting the beans rest for 2-3 weeks has really developed them and opened up more flavors...surprisingly enough, to me, the longer the beans rest, the better they are.

It's still somewhat hard for me to do an apples-to-apples comparison since everything I've had has all been so different...but so far, I am still very happy with Sey, and I will probably remain subscribed for the long term.

In comparison with Wendelboe, with my still somewhat limited (and varied) experience, I would say maybe Sey roasts a touch lighter. Because of this, I think Sey's beans are a little more finicky and harder to dial in, and I would recommend that you really have a good pourover-focused grinder to maximize your experience. Wendelboe seems to be a little more forgiving.

Let me know what you think if you subscribe - I'm going to be pausing my subscription this month (April) because I have a ton of beans to get through, but I will definitely be resuming next month. I think I am probably going to stick with the 2x month subscription from Sey, *maybe* think about resubscribing for 1 bag a month subscription from Wendelboe, and then picking and choosing from what looks good from other roasters as needed.

Acavia (original poster)

#9: Post by Acavia (original poster) »

Dav wrote:
Let me know what you think if you subscribe - I'm going to be pausing my subscription this month (April) because I have a ton of beans to get through, but I will definitely be resuming next month. I think I am probably going to stick with the 2x month subscription from Sey, *maybe* think about resubscribing for 1 bag a month subscription from Wendelboe, and then picking and choosing from what looks good from other roasters as needed.
I decided to get the 12 months 2 bags/mo prepaid subscription. It was $348.60.

I also started the Fellow Drops plan. You do not have to buy anything. It offers a coffee and you can order X # of bags or ignore it. It had Manhattan and La Cabra recently for only $5 shipping tracked. US roasters are often free to only $2 shipping. It seems to be a good supplement coffee source. There is a video of each offering too. https://drops.fellowproducts.com/