Pete's Coffee - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
SutterMill

#11: Post by SutterMill »

Milligan wrote: If you are going to get a cheap grocery store coffee to use for milk espresso then look for Illy or Lavazza with a decent roast date.
I second this suggestion. I occasionally buy whole bean Illy and I'm am almost always pleased. Its easier to pull and mixes great with milk drink. I'm at the end of my first bag of Saka and while a little more expensive I would order again in a heartbeat.

espressoren

#12: Post by espressoren »

Peet's at least sends you freshly roasted beans if you order direct. Haven't seen that from any of the other big names, who just rely on nitrogen purge and sell beans roasted a year ago. I agree their options were a bit dark for my taste but holds up well in milk drinks.

K7

#13: Post by K7 »

At least in my area, some grocery stores like Safeway regularly stock fairly fresh Peet's coffee. Less than 4 weeks from roasting. Yes, they tend to be darker than some here would like, but to be honest I think they are decent. The only time they taste like charcoal is when I overextract. Yes, great for milk drinks.

Mochajoe

#14: Post by Mochajoe »

Milligan wrote: If you are going to get a cheap grocery store coffee to use for milk espresso then look for Illy or Lavazza with a decent roast date. Sometimes I see Intelligentsia, Counter Culture, and Stumptown. All should pull a decent shot as long as it is with a good date range.
I have used Illy and Lavazza. Do you have a recommendation for a more upscale and tastier brand that is accessible in the states? I do both, espresso and lattes on my home machine.

Jeff
Team HB

#15: Post by Jeff »

One great resource is The hunt for best Italian roasted coffee beans

Saka became popular enough for a forum member to start importing it on a regular basis New Batch of Saka Coffee in Stock! Nov 21st 2022

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#16: Post by Milligan »

Mochajoe wrote:I have used Illy and Lavazza. Do you have a recommendation for a more upscale and tastier brand that is accessible in the states? I do both, espresso and lattes on my home machine.
As Jeff said, Saka is a great coffee to try. It is imported directly from Italy very close to the roast date. The price is exceptional for the quality. Cimarron is also a great coffee for espresso. The Courthouse or Chimney Rock depending on your roast level you like are great. These are recommendations for creamy, rich, and classic espressos.

Mat-O-Matic
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by Mat-O-Matic »

Peet's is better taste- and freshness-wise amongst comparable brands, I agree. Among coffees that dark, they preserve more of the varietal flavor.

And +1 on Intelligentsia, Stumptown, Counter Culture, etc. as better brands that are increasingly available. Those and Dark Matter, Metro, and others are in Whole Foods, but I've also seen Stumptown in Target and Walmart.

Local to me, BLK & Bold is a very good Des Moines roaster that is reaching nationwide through Target and some groceries. Again, tends to roast darker than my preference so I haven't had a lot of it, but it's tasty and I've been impressed by the business and its owner.
LMWDP #716: Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself.

Martin

#18: Post by Martin »

Peets pretty much stays in its lane and does a decent job. I prepare few milk drinks, but when I do (and I don't have a supply of dark-enough home roast) I'll get Peets' "medium" roast for guests' cappacinos.

(Can anyone really taste the coffee inside a latte?)
Heat + Beans = Roast. All the rest is commentary.