Peet's fancier stuff?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Drewskie

#1: Post by Drewskie »

I've only tried grocery store Peet's coffee, but the three or four I have had from them have all been pretty good. A friend of mine was raving about one of their light roasts so I decided to check their website, and I was shocked at how many different beans they actually have since I have never seen any of them on the shelves. It looks like they have three or four different style labels, some light green bags, some dark green bags, and some brown reserve bags. Has anyone tried those coffees from them? I'm assuming the only place to get them would be online, or inside one of their locations so I'm just wondering if it's worth trying because some of them are pretty pricey.

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Peet's offers some delicious coffees that aren't burned to smithereens, but like you noted, they're generally listed online or in their larger brick and mortar locations. They do buy high quality greens and roast them in a good way, for folks looking for a medium roast.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by Milligan »

Sadly, grocery store coffee is all about the brand and label, not about the quality. A lot of "good" brands have a grocery line they pump out. Target recently added Blue Bottle in my area. They only say "bright" on one and "bold" on the other. The actual bags are made out of cheaper material. At $12-13 a bag, they obviously won't be as good as their normal line they sell in the cafes for $20+.

I've had good coffee from Peet's physical locations that was much different than their grocery offerings. Of course, you pay for it :)

SutterMill

#4: Post by SutterMill »

Tim your reply reminded me of a TV show with Steve Sims from Bodhi Leaf and some guy from Shark Tank were talking about branding and Steve replys "Yeah, we roast alot of their coffee for the stores" and Shark Tank guy had dollar signs flash over his eyes.

I've had coffee from the San Francisco Blue bottle location and from the local target. One is Quality, the other is Kwality.

Drewskie (original poster)

#5: Post by Drewskie (original poster) »

Milligan wrote:Sadly, grocery store coffee is all about the brand and label, not about the quality. A lot of "good" brands have a grocery line they pump out. Target recently added Blue Bottle in my area. They only say "bright" on one and "bold" on the other. The actual bags are made out of cheaper material. At $12-13 a bag, they obviously won't be as good as their normal line they sell in the cafes for $20+.

I've had good coffee from Peet's physical locations that was much different than their grocery offerings. Of course, you pay for it :)
This is exactly what I figured, and I actually order most of the coffee for a grocery store. Right after I posted this question, I tried contacting Peets directly to ask how we can start carrying the better coffees, and it was almost comical how difficult it is to een get information. They just keep transferring me to different people They truly don't care about the coffee, and only want to push their branding. I was thinking of signing up for one of their subscriptions, but I would rather sample a coffee before I commit to buying a $22 dollar bag.

Jeff
Team HB

#6: Post by Jeff »

At under $20 a pound, you can get into some roasters that are more respected among some circles in the specialty community like S&W Craft Roasting. https://www.swroasting.coffee/

(300 g x 1.5 is effectively a 16 oz pound)

cpreston
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by cpreston »

I can second the recommendation of S&W after a number of years experience with them.

viteaux

#8: Post by viteaux »

Peet's was my gateway drug into specialty coffee. Around 2011 i had an Ethiopian they called "Blue Sidamo" at a brick and mortar store in Cupertino and was my first experience of a blueberry bomb. Talked to the barista, he recommended a Kalita 185 and a hand grinder, bought a couple of pounds and have been chasing that feeling since. At that time, where I was living, there were no options other than Starbucks and gas station coffee. Having access to coffees from around the world on their website was a game changer.

jpender

#9: Post by jpender »

Milligan wrote:Target recently added Blue Bottle in my area. They only say "bright" on one and "bold" on the other. The actual bags are made out of cheaper material. At $12-13 a bag, they obviously won't be as good as their normal line they sell in the cafes for $20+.
Have you tried any of them?

I used to buy Blue Bottle at their cafes and also at local markets (e.g. Whole Foods). They were consistently fresh, as in 1-3 days post roast. And the beans were pretty good. And kind of expensive. The "supermarket" line of coffees, which don't even appear on their website, don't appeal to me.

But I haven't tried them.

jpender

#10: Post by jpender »

I used to drink Peet's coffee almost exclusively. I would get a small bag at one of their shops, ground to my specifications. It would be wonderful on day 1. I stored the ground coffee in a jar in the freezer and although it was never as good as the first day it kept reasonably well. Probably my standards were lower. I sometimes bought the supermarket pre-ground stuff and I don't think it was all that much worse.

After I discovered specialty coffee -- an epiphany with a natural Ethiopian -- it was a number of years before I tried Peet's again. And I couldn't drink it. It was *awful*. My tastes had changed.

I heard that they had some better stuff, you just needed to get it online. So I ordered some Ethiopian beans, "Queen" something or other. And they were terrible. Way over-roasted. I don't know. I don't hate dark coffee but I hated theirs.

That was about 8-9 years ago. Maybe things have changed.