Onyx Monarch - Use Their Website Recs!

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
xelloss386

#1: Post by xelloss386 »

Caveat: I use a Wacaco Picopresso (with a non-stock 51 mm portafilter that is not tapered like the one included with the device, also using a puck screen) and 1Zpresso K-plus, so you may get better results with a better setup

There was a thread a couple years ago where some folks reported trouble dialing in, and the coffee coming out too sour. I think I may have found an answer for anyone having the same trouble.

The Onyx website recommends 19g beans to 55 g espresso. This was the key. I was trying all sorts of grind settings, doses, and temperatures working with something around the Picopresso-recommended 18g -> 35g @ 195-205*F and it was just coming out SOUR.

The Onyx site says there are a lot of soluble compounds in the beans requiring more water to get them out, and this was spot on. You can fill the Picopresso above its recommended water line to produce a quad shot (up to ~60 g out).

I followed the Onyx recs of 19 g to 55 g. I ground at K-Plus setting of 3.4, non-stock portafilter, puck screen, WDT, and tamped once with the Picopresso funnel then once more without, water at 208*F (there's always heat loss with the Picopresso). Did about 35 seconds total but part of the time is determined by resistance of the pumping action. Initially had a lot of pump resistance that lets up later in the shot. Good crema, some tartness from the Ethiopia comes through but well balanced with some chocolate notes. Can't get a very velvety texture with any beans using the Picopresso, but still a great tasting shot and was nowhere near as sour as 18 --> 35.

jmc999

#2: Post by jmc999 »

xelloss386 wrote:Caveat: I use a Wacaco Picopresso (with a non-stock 51 mm portafilter that is not tapered like the one included with the device, also using a puck screen) and 1Zpresso K-plus, so you may get better results with a better setup

The Onyx website recommends 19g beans to 55 g espresso. This was the key. I was trying all sorts of grind settings, doses, and temperatures working with something around the Picopresso-recommended 18g -> 35g @ 195-205*F and it was just coming out SOUR.
You're using a 51mm portafilter, while their dose recommendation is likely for a 58mm portafilter. Shouldn't you reduce your dose accordingly? I'd think a dose of around 15g in with 42-45g out would be more appropriate.