Onyx Monarch Espresso

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Ajwalter89

#1: Post by Ajwalter89 »

How does everyone pull this blend? Onyx website says 19 in 55 out in 25 at 198 degrees. It's pretty good but feel it could be better.

BaristaBob

#2: Post by BaristaBob replying to Ajwalter89 »

I would agree with you. Just received this coffee pulled to these specs...it's got potential. Would you or anyone else have some other suggestions?
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by JohnB. »

I'd start by trying a more normal shot ratio. 19g in/35g out? Also play with the temp. Try 200*F.
LMWDP 267

BaristaBob

#4: Post by BaristaBob replying to JohnB. »

Good thought...did that too. Seems to bring the Ethiopia portion forward in a sour way, muting the dark chocolate from the Colombian bean. Have not played with temp yet, but going from 198 to 200F is not going to work magic based on my experience. Might try a ristretto shot 28-30s out.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

Raising the temp 2*F isn't magic but it will change the flavors some. No matter what the roaster suggests I always try a new blend at 198*/200*/202* or higher & see what I like best.
LMWDP 267

BaristaBob

#6: Post by BaristaBob replying to JohnB. »

I'm game! Thanks for the help. Let you know tomorrow how this shakes out.

BaristaBob

#7: Post by BaristaBob »

Well today tried raising temp to 200F, then lowering temp, lowering dose too, grinding finer, grinding coarser, more in the cup, less in the cup...and now I must admit, this coffee beat me. It's always sour, either just sour, or more sour. Can't find the chocolate. So this bean gets ground and will become part of my granola mix.

I get the last laugh! 8)

happydaze

#8: Post by happydaze »

I could never get this roast right for espresso either, however, I've ordered repeatedly for use as brewed coffee. Give that a try. It's got a traditional coffee taste with hints of red wine. It's delicious.

eelpout

#9: Post by eelpout »

I've finally decided around 16g, ~35 out, 25 seconds ~200 for Monarch (Fiorenzato Bricoletta )

it's fine, but my biggest issue is the price of their 10 oz. bag. feel like I'm paying more for the packaging of that fancy outer box than the coffee. ;)

dreadnatty08

#10: Post by dreadnatty08 »

Yeah, after hearing remarks from some roasters that the majority of coffee roasters pay roughly the same for green beans, so much of the added cost is going towards packaging, overhead etc. Onyx has a big reputation and their coffee is solid, but it's a little rich for my blood.