Onyx Coffee Advent Calendar 2019 - Page 6

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
sosha
Supporter ♡

#51: Post by sosha »

jbviau wrote:I'm a few days behind at this point, but so far my favorite (out of eight) was probably the Day 6 Colombia (Benjamin Paz). It's nice to read that I have good coffees to look forward to as I catch up (thanks).
Also my fav.....I have a big star next to it on the card!
LMWDP #440
www.kelpfish.com

Shenrei (original poster)

#52: Post by Shenrei (original poster) »

I'm behind as well. My favorites so far are probably #2 El Salvadar Santa Rosa Experimental Lot (quite a few of you thought this was a bit too wild), and #4 Guatemala Finca Insul. If I could pick one, it would be #4. Just a very enjoyable comforting nutty coffee with comforting flavors fitting for the season.
- Tim

Iowa_Boy

#53: Post by Iowa_Boy »

discsinthesky wrote:Just want folks to know that people are following along and are living vicariously through you all! I will need to pull the trigger on this next year.
Completely agree!

Chiswim_32796

#54: Post by Chiswim_32796 »

Day 11: Ethiopia Gedeb Beriti - Natural
Hump day! Brewed in the V60 and getting big chocolate covered berry, though I wouldn't say it's the usual blueberry associated with Ethiopian naturals. There's also some cocoa or hot-chocolate powder, which reminds me of an Ethiopian natural I had from Cat & Cloud, which was one of my favorites this year. Nice juicy mouthfeel, too. The calendar is still bringing it on day 11.

Chiswim_32796

#55: Post by Chiswim_32796 »

This year's crop from Ethiopia seemed awesome all around in my book.

Chiswim_32796

#56: Post by Chiswim_32796 »

Day 12: Colombia Finca El Faldon - washed
Probably one of the more unique Colombian coffees I've ever had. I'm typically not drawn to Colombian coffees, even the lactic stuff from La Palma, why I don't know. This one is ticking all of the boxes for me, though. The nuttiness Is there, but it's well balanced with a lime acidity and sweetness. This one might reintroduce me to Colombian coffees a little more. Today's weird tasting note: stroopwaffel, probably a combo of nuttiness and caramel notes.

#57: Post by Shenrei (original poster) »

I just tried Day 11 recently: Ethiopia Gedeb Beriti Natural. At first I didn't like it. The body was really thin and the flavor was not very potent. However, whoaaa...the aftertaste is something else and basically saved this coffee for me. Very very juicy pineapple and lychee aftertaste that lingers and dances on the tongue. It was a very strange thing!
- Tim

jbviau
Supporter ★

#58: Post by jbviau »

^^^ Sounds good. Will look out for that! Lychee in coffee is something I haven't really experienced before despite the listed notes on a few bags in the past; in wine, yes (sauvignon blanc)...

Personally, I'm stuck on this Day 10 Guatemala, which I find delicious. I'm on my third cup in a row of it. Now I'm out, though, so I'll have to continue catching up.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

#59: Post by Shenrei (original poster) »

Not sure if it will help, but my recipe was 19g (after sifting) with the Forte BG and 300mL water on a Stag X using a Kalita 185 filter. I don't remember what my drawdown was, but I believe it was more than 2:40. Temp on my kettle was 96C
- Tim

Chiswim_32796

#60: Post by Chiswim_32796 »

Day 13: Kenya Kamviu AA - washed
The Chemex is all for me today!! Aroma both dry and wet are complex and spicy. Fair warning, I over-extracted quite a bit today so take my thoughts with a grain of salt... as you should be anyway. The spice is in the cup, too and the whole thing is vaguely reminiscent of the Krampus. I did get a bit of the apple, which I'm not sure is something I've had in a coffee before and is kind of hard to describe. Tasty overall, but if you haven't brewed this one yet I'd coarse up your grind a bit. Friday the 13th was a good day for this one to show up.