Onyx Coffee Advent Calendar 2019 - Page 5

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
winslette

#41: Post by winslette »

Day 5: Ethiopia Shantawene Screen 15 Natural
Prepared via Chemex per instructions, extraction: 23.6%

Really high extraction, not sure what happened, but my flow was really reduced through the chemex filter. This caused a high TDS and long extraction time. Despite the slow flow, this was a great coffee. Dry ground smells of vanilla with a floral component. Wet aroma brings forward strawberry and more focused jasmine florals and some kiwi. In the cup the jasmine really forward with a good strawberry and kiwi component. This is a very sweet cup. There was another component that was hard to place, I put down bergamot with a ?. Very clean for a natural. As it cools the florals and berry disappear a little and reveal a light lemon taste. I scored it a 91.25, and it would have probably been higher if I had not choked the filter.

Shenrei (original poster)

#42: Post by Shenrei (original poster) »

I did not like the Ethiopia Shantawene. I thought it tasted like the Ethiopian roasts that I do here at home that turn out bad (to me). A bit generic in flavor, and not something that really stood out. This is the first one in the Onyx box that I did not really like.
- Tim

Chiswim_32796

#43: Post by Chiswim_32796 »

Day 6: Colombia Benjamin Paz - Washed
Super clean coffee today. Getting a blackberry or pomegranate-like acidity with notes of caramel and baker's chocolate. Weird comparison: Une Année Brewing makes a blackberry pot de créme stout that reminds me a lot of this. Overall, really vibing with this one today. Normally if I saw notes like this on the bag I might put it in the French press, but it really shines in the V60. I've typically associated Benjamin Paz with Honduran coffees, but he seems to me doing just fine in Colombia, too.

sosha
Supporter ♡

#44: Post by sosha »

D6.....Colombian Benjamin Paz, Washed

Disclaimer: I'm not a cupper, and my descriptors may seem remedial to some. But, I know what I like in a coffee.

Funny you mention the FP Anders, because this seems to be the perfect prep for this bean. A tad juicy, but the caramel and vanilla are the standouts for a Friday morning off of work.
LMWDP #440
www.kelpfish.com

Chiswim_32796

#45: Post by Chiswim_32796 »

Day 7: Ethiopia Bombe Kenya-Processed - Washed

Drawdown took absolutely ages, but on the plus side this coffee is super interesting and tasty. The mouthfeel is sort of nectar-like, and each sip lingers for a really long time. Grapefruit acidity is there, and I guess if I'm picking out flavor notes there is some dark chocolate, like 88% dark. Not 100% sure what exactly a Kenya-process entails, but I think whatever it is turned this coffee into a pretty cool Kenya-Ethiopia hybrid flavor-vise, and I definitely wouldn't be opposed to seeing more them.

Chiswim_32796

#46: Post by Chiswim_32796 »

Day 8: El Salvador Santa Rosa - Honey
Admittedly, this one scared me a little before brewing. The experimental process on day 2 was a little challenging for my palate, so I wasn't quite sure how this one was going to go. I got a little bit of a savory aroma from the dry grounds, sort of like some Kenya's that didn't help either. Brewing changed my mind, however. I did the usually split for my mom and I, V60 for myself and iced Aeropress for her. The iced tasted like a raspberry iced tea, with the most perfect balance of sweet and acid. The V60 was absolutely delicious at all temperatures, super juicy with the raspberry coming out at the forefront. I found myself going for another sip right after putting it down again and again. I pulled up some of the info from Onyx's website afterward, and they noted interestedly that it was possible to get some savoriness at higher brew ratios, which might have explained some of the aromas in the dry grounds, but thankfully none of that in the cup. Overall, this was a super forgiving, and delicious brew. Probably my favorite yet from the calendar. I might have to order a whole bag of this one for when the calendar is done, or give the new margogype that they have from the same farm a try. Happy sipping!

Chiswim_32796

#47: Post by Chiswim_32796 »

Day 9: Panama Carlos Yanguez - natural
Iced and V60 again today. Pleasant creamy mouthful with lots of strawberry nicely balanced between sweet and acidic. Nothing super outlandish in this brew, but overall well balanced and delicious. I had had this one before at a shop, and I think I preferred it brewed a little stronger like the 1:15 I used. Had to get moving this morning and wish I could've sipped on it a little longer.

discsinthesky

#48: Post by discsinthesky »

Just want folks to know that people are following along and are living vicariously through you all! I will need to pull the trigger on this next year.

Chiswim_32796

#49: Post by Chiswim_32796 »

Day 10: Guatemala San Antonio Chaquite - washed
Brewed in the V60 today. I'm getting notes of black tea and caramel. Both of those combined with a creamy body remind me of masala chai, which is definitely a good thing. Honestly, I stopped looking for other notes at that point because I liked what I was tasting. Go figure.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#50: Post by jbviau »

I'm a few days behind at this point, but so far my favorite (out of eight) was probably the Day 6 Colombia (Benjamin Paz). It's nice to read that I have good coffees to look forward to as I catch up (thanks).
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias