Onyx Coffee Advent Calendar 2019 - Page 4

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Chert
Supporter ♡

#31: Post by Chert » Dec 03, 2019, 11:56 am

For those of us enjoying this vicariously, please state the origin or something more clear than "Day 2".

It sounds like a tasty calendar!

winslette

#32: Post by winslette » Dec 03, 2019, 12:28 pm

Day 3: Colombia Finca Cristalina Natural
Prepared via Chemex per instructions, extraction: 21.75%

One thing I have loved about the Onyx coffees, and the main reason I did this, is to see how my roasting compared to a very well reputed one. After Day 2 and 3 (was out of town day 1), I can say that I am a ways away from producing roasted coffee like this. It is very enjoyable to have such a variety. Now on to my notes:

One thing I have noticed with Onyx coffees is the pervasiveness of the smell of the wet grounds in the kitchen. Yesterday, it was a boozy rum, this morning it was blackberry. There were other smells of wine and some vanilla in there as well. Taste followed closely, but I got more raspberry in the hot taste with a little blackberry as well. Clean. Slight floral taste when hot/warm. Seems to have both tartaric and to a lesser extent, malic acidity. Baker's chocolate finish when hot. As it cools the fruit turns more toward a very light grape flavor. I scored this one a 89.75. Very good Colombian.

[creative nickname]
Supporter ♡

#33: Post by [creative nickname] » Dec 03, 2019, 3:02 pm

Today's coffee (named in the previous post) was a very nice natural, emphasizing berry and chocolate notes. More straightforward than the previous two days but very crowd pleasing. The only negative I noted was a slight astringency in the finish of the cool cup, which is something I often find in naturals. But consumed hot or warm this is a winner all around.
LMWDP #435

Chiswim_32796

#34: Post by Chiswim_32796 » Dec 04, 2019, 10:08 am

Day 3: Guatemala Finca Isnul Washed

Once again half brewed over ice in the Aeropress, and the other half in the Origami dripper. Starting yesterday I have stopped looking at the origin before brewing, and the surprise has made this all a lot more fun. Right off, I'm not sure based on aroma or first taste I would guessed that this was from Guatemala. I was picking up hazelnut in the form of Nutella, and the acid kind of a cross between a lime and a green apple. The acid almost reminded me more of an African origin which was A-OK with me. Overall, I found the acid off this bean to be the most pleasant to my palate thus far.

winslette

#35: Post by winslette » Dec 04, 2019, 12:03 pm

Day 4: Guatemala Finca Isnul Washed
Extracted in Chemex via instructions: 21.8% measured

Dry grounds had a bit of creamy, nutty smell. I agree with Chiswim about the Nutella comparison. Wet aroma had a much more pronounced orange peel aroma. In the cup the citrus I picked up on was much more limey, like a diluted limeade. Simple syrup sweetness and the cleanest of the coffees thus far. Finish is nutty. There is also a hint of some tropical fruit as the cup cools a little bit. I scored it a 88.5. Not as complex as the previous days roasts. I took off a bit for aftertaste, but that is probably because it is a little overextracted.

Shenrei

#36: Post by Shenrei » Dec 04, 2019, 7:22 pm

Day 4: Guatemala Finca Isnul Washed

Brew Method: Stagg X with Kalita 155 filter, 15g/240mL

I found this coffee to be quite nutty with deep notes of red wine and a dark chocolate finish. Cup was very clean, and the finish was great. Not the fruit bomb as the previous coffees but I quite enjoyed this one and it was comforting to drink. An excellent winter cup if you ask me.
- Tim

sosha
Supporter ♡

#37: Post by sosha » Dec 04, 2019, 8:22 pm

So, I'm doing these in a FP. Anyone else?
LMWDP #440

jbviau
Supporter ♡

#38: Post by jbviau » Dec 04, 2019, 11:11 pm

Patty, yes, I've been brewing every coffee in both the Trifecta and the Espro travel press. I'm a half day behind, though, so I haven't pressed the Guatemala yet. I find it really "crisp" so far, if that makes sense. Good stuff.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Chiswim_32796

#39: Post by Chiswim_32796 » Dec 05, 2019, 9:54 am

Day 5: Ethiopia Shantawene screen 15 natural
Just a plain ole' Chemex today. Initially sweet and a little syrupy like a ripe orange, then a tangerine acidity kicks in as it cools. If there is any apricot, I'm getting vibes of dried versus fresh, with some of the "stickiness" one might associate with dried fruit. Overall very tasty, but today I'm getting a lot of "sweet" with specific flavors being hard to identify. Later on in the month we may get to see his screen size plays a role in taste which should be exciting.

sosha
Supporter ♡

#40: Post by sosha » Dec 05, 2019, 11:03 am

jbviau wrote:Patty, yes, I've been brewing every coffee in both the Trifecta and the Espro travel press. I'm a half day behind, though, so I haven't pressed the Guatemala yet. I find it really "crisp" so far, if that makes sense. Good stuff.
I've been finding them "crisp" also. Glad to hear someone else if finding the first few selections the same. Maybe they're not off-gassed as long as I'm used to. Does anyone know when there were roasted?

Off to #5......
LMWDP #440