Olympia Coffee - Big Truck vs Little Buddy

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
MatGreiner
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by MatGreiner »

Typically I'll order two blends from a roaster. e.g. 5# of one blend and 1# of another. Invariably I order a small quantity of the coffee I prefer. I haven't had Olympia yet and am about to order from them. Question = do I order the larger quantity of Big Truck or Little Buddy? And while I'm there, is there something else I should try?

Alchemy and Big Trouble are blends I return to often. AT B&W, I like traditional. Recent experiences found me enjoying PTs Southpaw and Flying Monkey. Round sweetness, nuts and caramels, enough acidity to be interesting, stone fruit over citrus. Medium to medium-light for my daily drivers.
LMWDP #716: Jeez, kids! Don't swing on that!

chanty 77

#2: Post by chanty 77 »

I put Olympia on my rotation because I enjoyed the two blends I tried, but their shipping (I think) is higher than the others on my rotation so I haven't ordered from them but twice. I enjoyed their Big Truck but also enjoyed their Sweetheart. The Sweetheart had some fruit (started with a sweeter dark cherry, but found it got a little tarter cherry at times--probably my preparation)--I seem to have a problem picking out caramels & nuts, etc. It's easier for me to detect fruit. The Lil Buddy sounds interesting though.

MNate

#3: Post by MNate »

I like all three. Sweetheart was a bit darker, though, so I think Little Buddy has usually been my favorite. Big Truck might be the safer bet though. But I vote Little Buddy.

klee11mtl

#4: Post by klee11mtl »

Big Truck is what they usually serve in store for espresso so while it's not a Starbucks level of dark, it is on the darker side of medium and does well with milk.

Sweetheart is interesting as I've purchased it twice. In Sep 2020 it was from Guatemala with notes of peach, chocolate, and almond. In Mar 2021, the notes were milk chocolate, berries, and caramel. Today, the website label says El Salvador with notes of berries, chocolate, and wine.

I've not yet tried Little Buddy. I make almost exclusively milk drinks and have not been disappointed by any of their beans.

chanty 77

#5: Post by chanty 77 »

MNate wrote:I like all three. Sweetheart was a bit darker, though, so I think Little Buddy has usually been my favorite. Big Truck might be the safer bet though. But I vote Little Buddy.
Can you tell me what temp. you use for espresso for Little Buddy? Thanks.

MNate

#6: Post by MNate replying to chanty 77 »

I don't remember it requiring too narrow of a temp setting. I believe I was using the standard "Adaptive profile for medium roasts" on the Decent which shoots for around 92degreesC, but add about 5 degrees to that typically for how the decent measures temp differently than most...

All said, I don't think I have a magic number for you, nor do I have good enough notes to recall what exactly worked best. Sorry! Hope you're enjoying it though!

MatGreiner (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by MatGreiner (original poster) »

Since I change coffees every week or two, my notion of a daily driver is something I know I can come back to when I'm tired of exploring. Big Truck fits that bill for me.

Sweetheart (at the time an El Salvador) was my favorite. All three were good, balanced shots and I felt they benefitted from longer ratios (1:2.1).

Big Truck performed easily with a 15.8 dose in my factory basket, and that was how I drank most of it. A 20g dose (unsurprisingly) improved the shots, though I only pulled those when I had visitors and milk drinkers. The 'dense fruit, sweet chocolate, long, clean finish' is accurate. The acidity is apparent, lively, and good though not distinctive of particular fruits.

Little Buddy had obvious changes over the time I drank it. It had an intense Frankenberry flavor and aroma that was dynamic; getting stronger post-roast before fading over the following days. Someone into the peak-freshness storage stuff might enjoy nailing this where they like it.

Next up: Cat & Cloud!
LMWDP #716: Jeez, kids! Don't swing on that!

chanty 77

#8: Post by chanty 77 replying to MatGreiner »

I enjoyed Sweetheart a couple of times in the past but wasn't as enthralled with the notes this time around. First time trying the Little Buddy & actually really like it a lot. Getting lots of fruit with some undertone of chocolate. I didn't open the bag until 16 days post roast because started with Sweetheart. Still so good. Have temp. at 200° & started with 19.4g and today at 21 days post roast up to 20 grams. Seems like this blend needs more grams of beans than any other bean I've used--but still very good. Next, I open my Big Truck. I've had that before & enjoyed it. I ordered 3 bags to save on shipping because I personally don't think they lose much flavor if any despite not freezing any of it. I open the first bag at 7-8 days post roast, the second is usually 16 days post roast & the third bag is about 23 days post roast.

Maxwell Mooney

#9: Post by Maxwell Mooney »

Always Little Buddy.
"Coffee is evidence of Divine Grace, flavored coffee evidence of the Fall" -Kevin Hall

LMWDP #406

chanty 77

#10: Post by chanty 77 »

chanty 77 wrote:I put Olympia on my rotation because I enjoyed the two blends I tried, but their shipping (I think) is higher than the others on my rotation so I haven't ordered from them but twice. I enjoyed their Big Truck but also enjoyed their Sweetheart. The Sweetheart had some fruit (started with a sweeter dark cherry, but found it got a little tarter cherry at times--probably my preparation)--I seem to have a problem picking out caramels & nuts, etc. It's easier for me to detect fruit. The Lil Buddy sounds interesting though.
Ordered & received the Big Truck, Little Buddy & Sweetheart. I should've been more cognizant about the change in notes with Sweetheart from chocolate, cherry to 12-2022 bergamot, floral & Limoncello. Dumbo me....should have known the overly citrus from the limoncello would overtake the flavors. Plus just a weaker body. Sad cuz I always loved the Sweetheart blend.