Nossa Familia - Teodoro

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
nameisjoey

#1: Post by nameisjoey »

For those that have tried this blend, can you share your thoughts?

If my favorite blend was Black and White's The Natural (chocolate and fruit forward) how would this compare?

The pricing on Teodoro looks great and I'd like to give it a shot but before I go all in on 5lb's would like to get some feedback from the people here.

Balthazar_B

#2: Post by Balthazar_B »

Suggest you date someone before deciding to move in with her, even for a month. In other words, get 12 oz of the Teodoro and see if you like it enough to go through 5 lbs of it. The opinions of others are often entertaining, and sometimes useful, but your own palate should be the ultimate decision maker.
- John

LMWDP # 577

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
new2espresso

#3: Post by new2espresso »

Balthazar_B wrote:Suggest you date someone before deciding to move in with her, even for a month...The opinions of others are often entertaining, and sometimes useful, but your own palate should be the ultimate decision maker.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Kind regards,
Karan

thirdcrackfourthwave

#4: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

nameisjoey wrote:For those that have tried this blend, can you share your thoughts?

If my favorite blend was Black and White's The Natural (chocolate and fruit forward) how would this compare?

The pricing on Teodoro looks great and I'd like to give it a shot but before I go all in on 5lb's would like to get some feedback from the people here.
I can't compare it to Black and White but it is chocolate/nutty. It seems a lighter roast than what I think of an Italian roast (not a bad thing IMHO.) It is a good coffee--it didn't send me over the moon. Go to their site and see if people have commented on it for a wider view than mine.

lancealot

#5: Post by lancealot »

I've had plenty of both. I'll give you my $.02 but remember these words
The opinions of others are often entertaining, and sometimes useful, but your own palate should be the ultimate decision maker.
These are both in my rotation. They are different coffees for different moods.

The Natural is fruity with a tiny bit of chocolate. When I dial it in, the fruit is more or less a constant and I make adjustments to maximize the chocolate taste. I wish it were more chocolaty.

Teodoro's is chocolate. Better tasters might be able to name other flavors, but there is no fruit. No way, no how. All the flavors are from the chocolate, caramel part of the wheel. It's still a medium roast. Hard to pull a bad shot with it. But I wish there were some other flavors to give it a little more interest. In a latte it is chocolate milk.

emradguy
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by emradguy »

I have a very similar opinion of Teodoro's as Lancealot.

nameisjoey (original poster)

#7: Post by nameisjoey (original poster) »

lancealot wrote:I've had plenty of both. I'll give you my $.02 but remember these words

These are both in my rotation. They are different coffees for different moods.

The Natural is fruity with a tiny bit of chocolate. When I dial it in, the fruit is more or less a constant and I make adjustments to maximize the chocolate taste. I wish it were more chocolaty.

Teodoro's is chocolate. Better tasters might be able to name other flavors, but there is no fruit. No way, no how. All the flavors are from the chocolate, caramel part of the wheel. It's still a medium roast. Hard to pull a bad shot with it. But I wish there were some other flavors to give it a little more interest. In a latte it is chocolate milk.
Thanks for your input.

Anything you've had that's similar to The Natural but in the same price point or even a bit cheaper?

ECM Manufacture: @ecmespresso #weliveespresso
Sponsored by ECM Manufacture

#8: Post by nameisjoey (original poster) »

Balthazar_B wrote:Suggest you date someone before deciding to move in with her, even for a month. In other words, get 12 oz of the Teodoro and see if you like it enough to go through 5 lbs of it. The opinions of others are often entertaining, and sometimes useful, but your own palate should be the ultimate decision maker.
Of course. Just curious of others thoughts...

#9: Post by nameisjoey (original poster) »

emradguy wrote:I have a very similar opinion of Teodoro's as Lancealot.
Thanks for your input.

How does it compare to say, red bird, for you?

lancealot

#10: Post by lancealot »

I think that Teodoro's is a more refined coffee than Redbird. Teo's is smooth smooth chocolate, easy to dial-in and easy drinking but it is very one dimensional and gets boring (to me). It also appears to be a very high quality coffee and it is roasted very well. Redbird has a sharpness that I think might "technically" be "bad" but it adds interest and I have grown to like it. Redbird also has more nuttiness than Teodoro's. Sometimes I can pull the faintest cherry flavor out of Redbird. Never with Teodoro's.

If you like the Bird, you won't be sorry you bought Teo's. It is smoother and more easy going. Lending itself to straight shots for people who might not drink a lot of straight shots. If you drink mostly straight shots and you want a multi-dimentional flavor profile, you might get bored.
Anything you've had that's similar to The Natural but in the same price point or even a bit cheaper?
No. Not right now. If you find something, let me know.

*Edit I just bought 12oz of Verve Sermon to try. Description is Chocolate * Blueberry Pie. Its a Brazil, Colombian and Ethiopian. No citrus flavors in the description so that all bodes well.

AND today I received 12oz of Olympia's Little Buddy. Never had it before. Description is promising but the beans don't smell as berry as the Natural.