Nitro cold brew coffee recommendations

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
randompacking

#1: Post by randompacking »

I like nitro cold brew, but I don't think I want to buy a pressurized growler as I am too lazy to clean them.

Is there any good nitro cold brew in a can? If so, where can I buy them?

Thanks.

slybarman

#2: Post by slybarman »

I think La Colombe's nitro cold brew in a can is pretty decent. I get it at my local grocery store. Whole foods around here has it as well. I am partial to the mocha.

randompacking (original poster)

#3: Post by randompacking (original poster) »

Thanks for the recommendation. I will look for it. A quick search online shows it at around 3-4 dollars a can. Is this how much you get it for?

slybarman

#4: Post by slybarman replying to randompacking »

Sounds high, but I don't recall what I paid at the grocery store. FWIW, Sam's club has it for $1.67 per can.

#5: Post by randompacking (original poster) »

thanks for the recommendation. I will order this.

btw, for a DIY nitro system at home, what the setup people use typically?

nrh

#6: Post by nrh »

There are not a lot of options at home at this point. I just got my uKeg Nitro. It was on Kickstarter and just arrived last week. I'm making my second batch now, and plan to reply to this post in the next week or so.

Ukeg Nitro: Share your Tips and Tricks
Nick H.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

I picked up plastic stout tap parts from MicroMatic, a hose-barb adapter and some hose to play with Nitro cold brew. I have the regular uKeg growler but quickly found out that the tap lock leaks out the cold brew so I picked up a 1 liter soda siphon to play with. The stout tap really makes a difference in the creamy texture and mouthfeel.

Early days, but I had some pretty tasty nitro cold brew. Keeping the right level of carb is the challenge with the soda siphon.

Here's the parts list from MicroMatic not including the hose barb adapter, hose, and hose clamps.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

#8: Post by randompacking (original poster) »

so the soda siphon cost about $70 total?

and the ukeg is no good? i was looking at the ukeg actually. it's disappointing that they don't work. from a price point, it looked promising.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by yakster »

I paid around $30 for the soda siphon and had a lot of N2O cartridges left over I bought for my Mypressi Twist so it was an easy way to try nitro cold brew.

The regular uKeg won't work with my hose and stout tap but the new nitro uKeg already has a stout tap and should work fine. Not sure if it's available yet for regular purchase outside of the Kickstarter campaign.

I think you use the larger cartridges with the nitro uKeg to get enough carb. With the uKegs, you have to unscrew the lid to change the cartridges, where with the siphon you charge from a port outside, but there's no regulator like on the uKeg.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

nrh

#10: Post by nrh »

With the uKeg Nitro, the 16 g. N2O is inside the cap. This is enough N2O so nothing needs changed until the uKeg is almost empty (around one oz. or so of the cold brew remains at the end).
Nick H.