Nicoletti Espresso

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
lancealot

#1: Post by lancealot »

I had been pulling some natural Ethiopians and I wanted a change of pace. I took at swing at Nicoletti after hearing about it in some other threads. In those threads, I got the impression that is was going to be along the lines of an american comfort espresso - redbird, lusso GMC.
I don't think it is very much like those coffees. At least my bag is not. Mine is bitter no matter what and has that rubber robusta taste. The results I am getting are more along the lines of a bad italian blend.
Today, 9 days post roast date, I have pulled it between 198 and 204, ratios from 18:28 to 18:40, and rippin' fast 20 second extractions up to 35 second slow-mo pours. No preinfusion. I have used BDB baskets and EPNW 14's too.
No matter what, I can't shake the bitter or the rubber. The beans look great! They look lighter than redbird espresso. I was not expecting these flavors. Any thoughts?

Chert

#2: Post by Chert »

I almost ordered some yesterday, but thought better of it. The website states they carry Passalacqua, but the ebay store doesn't mention it.

Thanks for warning me off.
LMWDP #198

Advertisement
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by JohnB. »

Still going through the batch I got late Oct. Just had a nice dark chocolate shot about an hour ago. Don't know what to tell you but I've ordered it twice & enjoyed it both times as have others.
LMWDP 267

lancealot (original poster)

#4: Post by lancealot (original poster) »

I've ordered it twice & enjoyed it both times as have others
I know. That is what gets me. I am hoping to hear form others. Maybe my bag is a fluke. It happens. If it looks that way, I will contact the roaster.

But taste is a weird thing though. Maybe it is consistently bitter and people just like that.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

I'm not a fan of bitter or sour. I'll be ordering a new bag in the next few days & will let you know if it's changed from my last order once I start pulling shots.
LMWDP 267

#6: Post by lancealot (original poster) »

Not knowing if all the components of this blend are roasted together or if they are roasted separate and blended after roasting, I put all the coffee from the bag into a large bowl and mixed it up last night.

I was also unsure of how the bag the coffee came in effects the off-gassing process. I do not know the name for the material the bag containing the coffee is made out of. It does not seem like paper. It has a shiney slippery outside. It does not look breathable. It was not sealed and did not have a 1-way valve. So I put as much coffee in the hopper as I could fit.

This mornings pulls were better. I decided on 198 and chose to go a little shorter, 18:28. in 25sec. Less robusta rubber. Still a bit bitter but not as bad. 10 days post roast.

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by mgwolf »

FWIW,
I tried a bag last year and found it burnt, rubber-like and I threw it away. I have generally liked most of the coffee I've had in Italy, for reference.

Advertisement
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by JohnB. »

Nicoletti does offer two espresso blends, one roasted much darker then the one I buy. Did you buy the same blend I've been buying? Mine is a nice medium Full City roast with no oil or burnt beans. No idea what you guys got but the blend I've bought twice does not taste burnt or rubbery.
LMWDP 267

GregoryJ

#9: Post by GregoryJ »

I've only tried "Nicoletti Coffee Espresso Roast" and did not find it burnt or rubbery tasting. With 18g in and 32-36g out in ~28 seconds at 200F it tasted quite nice.

There is also an "Old School 1972" espresso roast which I have not tried.

#10: Post by lancealot (original poster) »

"Espresso Roast" Mine came in a silver bag. It was 2.2lbs. I am out of town till Tuesday. I'll let you guys know how it is doing when I pull some shots on Tuesday.