Nicoletti Espresso - Page 6

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
truemagellen

#51: Post by truemagellen »

etout00 wrote:I've ordered Nicoletti a few times via Amazon, in all cases the roast was within a couple days of delivery with a hand written Thank you note, and in a sealed oneway valve bag. The taste is similar to what I had in Naples Italy pulled from lever machines, where most all Italians add a packet of sugar to the shot. I believe they are going for true Italian style blends/roasts which would include robusta beans and have a stronger/heavier taste profile than what some may be expecting. Just my opinion, for what they are going for, trying to be true to a blend found in Italy, I feel they hit the mark.
the bag you received was silver or just a craft paper bag?

etout00

#52: Post by etout00 replying to truemagellen »

For the 4 or 5 times I've ordered, all came in a silver valve bag. All ordered directly through Amazon and arrived within 2 or 3 days post roast. Last bag I ordered was about 6 months ago, so I guess things could have changed drastically for quality since then.

wachuko

#53: Post by wachuko »

truemagellen wrote:the bag you received was silver or just a craft paper bag?
Mine is silver... and I sure hope the next one is just as good... It was unfortunate to see that folks got inconsistent quality from order to order. I will give it a try again and see if I do not suffer the same experience. This was good enough to order again, at least for me...

Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#54: Post by baristainzmking »

I have tried their coffee twice (came in silver bags) and found it undrinkable even in milk drinks. Bitter, burnt, rubbery taste....
Julia

etout00

#55: Post by etout00 »

wachuko wrote:Mine is silver... and I sure hope the next one is just as good... It was unfortunate to see that folks got inconsistent quality from order to order. I will give it a try again and see if I do not suffer the same experience. This was good enough to order again, at least for me...

That's how my bag looked last few times I ordered. Nicoletti is going for the type of blends traditionally found in Italy; heavy creama and with robusta. I've witnessed Italian relatives from Italy try a single origin or lightly roasted espresso blend from the US and nearly spit it out stating it tasted like lemon water. To be honest, when I visited Italy, I'd guess 9 out of 10 cafes I visited in Italy used Kimbo coffee and locals generally drank shots with lots of sugar; drastically different experience than in the US coffee shops.

ChrisRiera

#56: Post by ChrisRiera »

Hi here, new to the forum, i just want to post my thoughts with this coffee, for me it always worked perfectly, the best of all espressos that i ever tried. Taste, smell, crema, forgiveness with the machine, etc. I tried in both flat and conical burr grinders, with a little better taste on conical ( for me ). Excepcional coffee, better customer service by Aldo, that always answers all the messages immediately, and he even send me free 1972 coffee to try. I will always recommend this coffee.
Christian

etout00

#57: Post by etout00 »

Just curious if you ordered direct or through Amazon

ChrisRiera

#58: Post by ChrisRiera replying to etout00 »

Hi, i always ordered thru ebay, and Aldo confirmed every time i put the order.

etout00

#59: Post by etout00 »

I didn't even know they sell via ebay...thanks for the heads up.

drH

#60: Post by drH »

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to add my impression to this discussion because it has so far helped me dial in some beans.
For context I'm using the BPlus Apollo conical hand grinder and a relatively new (post 2011) Olympia Cremina.
I have Nicoletti Espresso Roast (not the darker 'Old School' version), and I opened the bag for the first time 3-weeks post roast. The aroma was good but very muted. No off or rubbery smells (as some have mentioned) but not as fragrant as many other Italian coffees I usually have, e.g., Kimbo, Izzo Cafe, Lavazza Gold, or Morettino.

Because some have suggested that the dose should be small and the temperature on the lower side, I kept my initial group flush short and preinfusion at ~5 seconds. The result was not great... a bit sour and bitter all at once but big crema. I used the same grind setting here that I would normally use for my usual bean.

For a second attempt I decided to treat it like a light roast (and it is lighter than my usual). I tightened the grind and pulled the shot at the high end of the Cremina's pressure cycle and gave it a 13-15 second pre-infusion. Now the result was much better. I had this drink as an americano and tasted a nice balance of bitterness and caramel. The coffee has a heavy body, very silky. I mentioned caramel flavors, but I didn't pick up much chocolate or anything else. To me this was as decent shot with an incredible crema but a very one-dimensional flavor profile(though nice enough and not off-putting at all).
I would order it again, and I expect it would make great latte art, but I won't list it as one of my favorites.

I'd be open to hearing about ideas to improve it further.