New roasters to try for chocolate and caramel flavor profile

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Mikeltee

#1: Post by Mikeltee »

Hey guys,

Since the last post was 2013 in the favorite roasters thread, I'd like to hear of some new USA roasters that are bringing the chocolate and caramel beans shipped. I hate the fruity stuff. If I want to define what I taste in a beverage I'll grab a scotch or a great bottle of red. Im not trying to be disrespectful. I just like what I like in my coffee. I do 50/50 lattes by the way. I will do an occasional shot though when I am dialing in.

Each year these roasters get a different harvest so it will impact flavor. I drank Redbird exclusively 3 years ago. Got it 2 years ago and was no longer to my liking. I reverted to a couple subscriptions that send bi-weekly roasts and that was a waste of money. Last year I found Nirvana... Grumpies out of Brooklyn. The problem is you get 5 12oz bags for $100. Even 6 weeks in the freezer it was the chocolate bomb!

Espresso season is now upon us. I only drink fall to late spring. Got my Vivaldi 2 fixed finally that set me back a month so I am on my last bag of Grumpies. Nothing at all like last year and personally think it's a slap in the face to charge me $100 for 5 12oz bags but hey... that's NYC. I just placed my last $100 order with them and thanked them for a wonderful espresso season last year and I hope the first batch this year was a fluke. In case you are wondering why I would spend that kind of money for beans, I was getting 25% God shots out of the Hg-1 and Vivaldi 2 with their blend so I ended my search and money was nothing to me last year so I didn't care. Different story this year!!!!!!!! Nurse Practitioner clinicals aren't cheap!

I just ordered a # of redbird to see if they got their flavor profile back to when I drank it and also ordered 250g of Black Mountain. I hope Black mountain is the one I love because it's dirt cheap. 5# $57 and free shipping? I would be so grateful if that was the chocolate bomb I'm looking for.

Anyone else care to comment on yearly harvests changing flavor profiles? How about hooking a brotha up with some chocolate and caramel flavor profiles in a 50/50 latte just in case these 2 don't cut it. I live in the US and will only buy from US companies. Mainly because I want it to arrive on that 4th day of degas so I can compare all stages of age with the roast. I'm sure you Canadians have some bomb beans but they would be spoiled by the time they arrived.

Thanks!

earlgrey_44

#2: Post by earlgrey_44 »

Black Mountain is an excellent coffee but you're barking up the wrong tree.

Klatch Belle is a fine quality/dollar coffee for your general taste, and very consistent year to year. Many more suggestions here:

Coffees with good chocolate/caramel flavor
Trust your taste. Don't trust your perception.

Mikeltee (original poster)

#3: Post by Mikeltee (original poster) »

Thank you very much for the recommendation. I guess I should have done a search before. The Klatch reads like it is exactly what I am looking for. I think my the brandy would make a fine addition to the taste profile I look for in a latte. I will order in a few weeks and check it out. $10/# is a steal.

May I ask why I'm barking up the wrong tree? Is it wrong that I ask for a certain taste profile instead of exploring the wonderful world of tasting all blends of espresso? I had a blue bottle subscription for a good 8 months which was bi-weekly and they sent 2 different brands of their espresso line. I could dial them in and taste what the bag said they taste like. None went well with milk so I just drank shots, but that just isn't for me yet. I really respect you guys that spend thousands on your equipment and do enjoy dialing in everything they get their hands on and savor each flavor profile.

I feel limited with my Vivaldi for something like that. Unfortunately, I had to cancel my Londinium 1 I ordered a couple weeks ago due to financial reasons, but will be back for the 1-P next time. This 8 year old Vivaldi is easy to work on but parts are so expensive that I think it's time to upgrade. Plus those levers with wenge handles are eye candy. I would also need to upgrade the HG-1. Those light roasted beans are a workout with the HG-1 and I can't get a fluid motion going for the perfect grind. I like the Monolith Flat but it's going to be awhile before I have that kind of cash. I'm also interested in the new Compak, I just hate leavening beans in the hopper but the weight is essential for that perfect grind.

I must say that my HG-1 and Vivaldi 2 have no problem making me a Hershey bar latte.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

earlgrey_44 wrote:Black Mountain is an excellent coffee but you're barking up the wrong tree.
Mikeltee wrote:May I ask why I'm barking up the wrong tree? Is it wrong that I ask for a certain taste profile instead of exploring the wonderful world of tasting all blends of espresso? I had a blue bottle subscription for a good 8 months which was bi-weekly and they sent 2 different brands of their espresso line. I could dial them in and taste what the bag said they taste like. None went well with milk so I just drank shots, but that just isn't for me yet. I really respect you guys that spend thousands on your equipment and do enjoy dialing in everything they get their hands on and savor each flavor profile.
I think what Gary (@earlgrey_44) is saying is that Black Mountain isn't known for the flavor profile you're looking for, even though it's excellent coffee.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

portamento

#5: Post by portamento »

Mikeltee wrote:I will order in a few weeks and check it out. $10/# is a steal.
It's not $10/# though. A 5lb bag of Klatch Belle Espresso is currently $71.25 + approx $11 shipping.
Ryan

#6: Post by Mikeltee (original poster) »

Thanks guys. I will definitely try a pound of the Klatch. Searching through the other thread I saw that caught my eye. Turning Point Comfort Coffee and Buena Vista Roaster's Black Canyon Blend which aren't cheap by any means. I wish I wasn't stuck in Indiana. We have a couple roasters and you would think that Starbucks buys their beans. They don't sell it freshly roasted and it's burnt to a crisp! Such a shame. I have a family of 6msonwe don't get to travel. The only good latte I've purchased at a store was last turkey day in Boulder at Ozo's. I bought quite a few bags but with shipping I just couldn't afford it. They are great people there. Everyone was so friendly and their danishes looked fantastic. I'll be out of the Midwest soon in a few years hopefully. I absolutely hate it here. There is nothing to do but shoot guns 100 yards max and watch corn grow. My apologies to the anti-gun crowd.

#7: Post by Mikeltee (original poster) »

I recieved my black mountain 250g pack today. No it's not a Hershey bar but tastes really good with milk. Much better than my $100 5 12oz bags. Even my wife noticed the difference in smell and probably wanted me to make her one. She puts vanilla in it so I don't make her any. She can do it herself if she wants to ruin it. I just had to move the HG-1 1 slot looser to dial it in. For the price, I will probably order 5# unless Klatch Belle blows me away. I have a few weeks of coffee before I order.

Thanks for all your help guys.

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#8: Post by jwCrema »

Mikeltee wrote:...Even my wife noticed the difference in smell and probably wanted me to make her one. She puts vanilla in it so I don't make her any. She can do it herself if she wants to ruin it. ...
To each his own, but the 30 seconds it takes to pull a shot buys hours of peace, love and happiness at my house. I get good dinner too.

rockethead26

#9: Post by rockethead26 »

Mikeltee wrote:I recieved my black mountain 250g pack today. No it's not a Hershey bar but tastes really good with milk. Much better than my $100 5 12oz bags. Even my wife noticed the difference in smell and probably wanted me to make her one. She puts vanilla in it so I don't make her any. She can do it herself if she wants to ruin it. I just had to move the HG-1 1 slot looser to dial it in. For the price, I will probably order 5# unless Klatch Belle blows me away. I have a few weeks of coffee before I order.

Thanks for all your help guys.
My wife loves cinnamon and a little sugar in hers. I certainly do not enjoy my drinks that way, but I'm glad to make it for her twice every day. She loves me for it. I don't understand your attitude. I little love goes a long way.

dale_cooper

#10: Post by dale_cooper »

Next time I come home to visit family (greenwood) I could drop off some chocolatey coffee for you :)