Need to venture out more on delicious medium roast coffees

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
chanty 77

#1: Post by chanty 77 »

I've dropped both Counter Culture & Olympia from future purchases due to changes in their roasts that I did not care for. So right now the only two that I can see buying from are B&W and Barrington roasters. I enjoyed the Cimmaron Courthouse, but don't care for the 8.8oz. packaging or the kilogram which is $40 (that would not be bad, but I like trying different blends--so almost 2 1/2 lbs. is not what I want to do). SIGH????

spressomon

#2: Post by spressomon »

FWIW, I went through similar with Olympia a couple years ago.

Peregrine Coffee Roasters in Westcliff CO is new to me, but just from this morning's first shots of their Ethiopia Wote Konga I'm happy! Its not a "medium" roast but medium side of light but easy to pull and tasting notes are spot on. Waiting in the wings for me to get to other choices from the same order: Papua New Guinea, Dark Skies & their complimentary bag of Sangre De Christmas. https://peregrineroasters.com

Northbound Coffee Roasters in Shasta CA is long time favorite too. And one of the best values on the market today! https://northboundcoffee.com

New to me this year turned on by a great friend in ABQ while visiting: Red Rock Coffee Roasters in Albuquerque. I bought 7lbs of their honey process SO El Salvador, which is a medium roast, and its been very nice too (worthy!). https://www.redrockroasters.com

And Coava Coffee Roasters in Portland OR is another stalwart I have been 100% happy with year in and year out. https://coavacoffee.com

Typically I am drinking short/tight cappuccinos; 5-6oz cups max. But the Peregrine Wote Konga was excellent as espresso too.

These are my go to roasters FWIW.
No Espresso = Depresso

Advertisement
chanty 77 (original poster)

#3: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) replying to spressomon »

Thanks for that! I may look into the Red Rock SO El Salvador, sounds interesting. I tried the American Beauty from Northbound & to me, it was rather bland. That's me though. I checked out the Red Rock site & can't find your blend. In fact they don't really list their coffees for sale. They show bags (impossible to read)

spressomon

#4: Post by spressomon »

No Espresso = Depresso

spressomon

#5: Post by spressomon »

Single origins, more often than not, will get lost in most milk drinks, so keep the milk ratio down and the refined flavor will shine through; Red Rock El Salvador included.
No Espresso = Depresso

#6: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) replying to spressomon »

I do two double shots with about 5 oz. of milk with some microfoam on top.

spressomon

#7: Post by spressomon »

Also, given you are looking for bigger, bolder flavor than American Beauty be sure to give NB Coffee Lover a try. Its a seasonal blend they usually introduce sometime in January/early February. Its not around very long but one of my favorites from NB.
No Espresso = Depresso

Advertisement

#8: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) replying to spressomon »

Thanks. I just feel a little 'deflated' so to speak because I didn't have a big list of 'go-to' espresso blends to begin with, and just to have such big disappointments this time around with the Olympia Sweetheart and Little Buddy (note changes--floral--sorry can't handle floral notes, gives it less body, weaker, tea-like--more light than medium this time around), and the Counter Cultures Gradient & Big Trouble just were blander to me also this time around. No, it's not my sniffer or tastebuds as Barrington has a couple wonderful blends that literally light up both senses.

spressomon

#9: Post by spressomon »

Given you don't like fruity notes, avoid the Peregrine Ethiopia Wote Konga as it leads out with big blueberry flavor. The Papua New Guinea OTOH is big, bold & tasting notes seem spot on to me. Its a very dense bean and had to grind at one of the finest settings on my Monolith Flat to get it to play. 18g in (18g VST), 20-22sec PI, 50-55g espresso weight in 26-28 seconds and its really good with 3-4oz of steamed microfoam.

Have you tried Caffe Lusso's Gran Miscela Carmo? Might be what you are looking for. Just be sure to pull it at 205F as it takes some brew water heat to turn on from sour-ish to centered.
No Espresso = Depresso

#10: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) replying to spressomon »

Actually, I do enjoy some fruit notes in my espresso. I stick in the solid Medium category 99% of the time. I also don't care for the blah & bland "chocolate" as the only note. I love some fruit in the mix, but not lemony, grapefruity overly sour notes. I love stonefruits & blueberries, cranberries.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE blueberry notes. I have tried Caffe Lusso's GMC & too ashy for me. I've moved away from one-dimensional blends. Yeah, I like chocolate notes, but not solely chocolate. Example, I used to love Nossa's Teodora (med-dark--but to me, more of a solid medium)--but got to be bland after awhile. It was like a mild chocolate flavor.