Need a little help with fresh roasted Onyx Monarch

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
amamet

#1: Post by amamet »

Question about grind settings for onyx monarch, I know it's subjective but I just got my first order from them roasted on 1/17. Using my niche, I had to dial down to about 6 to get a shot that didn't gush out all over the place. I know it's only 3 days from roasting but I assumed it would be higher on my settings and I'd have to dial finer as it got older. If im not mistaken, the fresher the bean the "moister " it is and the need for a coarser grind, as it ages, it " dries out" and you start to grind finer. For reference, I'm usually consitantly in the 10-12 range for Stumptown hairbender, Intelligentsia black cat or counterculture hologram which is what I have been using for a while. This morning 1/21, 18 gr at my setting of 6 took only 19 seconds for @ 40 gr out. At this rate, I'll be grinding at 2 in no time. I cleaned and calibrated the grinder as well

Cuprajake

#2: Post by Cuprajake »

I got two bags of onyx through a UK group by both we sub par.

Quester

#3: Post by Quester »

amamet wrote:Question about grind settings for onyx monarch, I know it's subjective but I just got my first order from them roasted on 1/17. Using my niche, I had to dial down to about 6 to get a shot that didn't gush out all over the place. I know it's only 3 days from roasting but I assumed it would be higher on my settings and I'd have to dial finer as it got older. If im not mistaken, the fresher the bean the "moister " it is and the need for a coarser grind, as it ages, it " dries out" and you start to grind finer. For reference, I'm usually consitantly in the 10-12 range for Stumptown hairbender, Intelligentsia black cat or counterculture hologram which is what I have been using for a while. This morning 1/21, 18 gr at my setting of 6 took only 19 seconds for @ 40 gr out. At this rate, I'll be grinding at 2 in no time. I cleaned and calibrated the grinder as well
I occasionally get Monarch and pull shots for a family member who likes darker roasts. When it's dialed in, it's good. I've pulled shots using several grinders, but the last time I used Monarch with a Niche, it was at 11, which is about average for most coffee on that grinder. Why are you pulling shots so close to the roast date? Even though this is a darker roast, it may not be stable because of outgassing. I'm also wondering if you are grinding so fine you are forcing channeling.

I would wait until around 10 days off roast and try again just a tad coarser than your average coffee on the Niche and then adjust based on how that shot runs. On a final note, with the Niche and Monarch, I like a 20:36 shot ratio.

amamet (original poster)

#4: Post by amamet (original poster) »

They were just delivered and it's all i have, i ran out of my other coffee. I do realize it needs time but was surprised that i needed to grind finer as opposed to coarser being "too"fresh. It's not channeling as much as it's gushing.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by Milligan »

Gushing can be caused by freshly roasted coffee especially darker roasts that have a lot of trapped CO2 after roasting. Monarch is more of a medium-dark, no second crack IIRC. I'd give it a week from roast date before pulling shots.

Why we need resting?
Light Roast- to tame the green notes and mellow the profile
Medium- To allow off gassing due to CO2 build up inside the bean, reduces harshness, increases clarity
Dark- ^^^ x2

robotuser

#6: Post by robotuser »

Current bag is Monarch and I like 18.5g : 41.5g out with 140g milk. Tastes creamy and thick in a traditional way. As straight espresso (I always take one sip before adding milk) it has a creamy mouthfeel with balanced bitterness and acidity.

For those with much more experience should this bean taste differently than what I got? Does it taste sweet in a milk drink?