Need help finding consistent roasters

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Altair

#1: Post by Altair »

So I have a large number of coffee roasters here in Dubai, and have had some great coffees, my problem is that they seem inconsistent in both their quality and availability.

I am looking at expanding and ordering online, don't mind ordering from anywhere that ships international, as long as they are consistent and excellent.

My decision is charged by my desire to focus on my technique for a year and stop trying different stuff. I am going to commit to three coffees, one light, one medium, one dark ( both straight and lattes) . And brew nothing else for espresso for a year. I hope this will help with my ability to dial in and get the most out of a given coffee before I start expanding choices again.

Recommendations are most appreciated.

mbbrew

#2: Post by mbbrew »

Tim Wendelboe has been one of the most consistent for me for light that is still quite soluble. Have been purchasing for years along with having a subscription and their roasts have been stylistically consistent the entire time and rarely have anything resembling a defect.

Altair (original poster)

#3: Post by Altair (original poster) »

Thanks for the recommendation. I have Tim shortlisted!

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

One thing to consider is that coffee is seasonal. Even blends can change from month to month.

I think your idea of finding a reliable roaster is a great one. At least that way the green selection criteria and roasting intent will be more consistent.

Altair (original poster)

#5: Post by Altair (original poster) »

I agree, no roaster can provide absolute consistency, but +-10% variance month to month ( my target) is very much desired compared to +-25-30% variance ( my current espresso life)

After six years of perusing espresso, I am now of the opinion that limiting one's self to no more than three, maybe even one or two, coffees and focusing on technique and mastering equipment / work flow is an essential step towards achieving home espresso nirvana. I will let you know what I settle on and how it goes.

Rustic39

#6: Post by Rustic39 »

I can't address any possible challenges to getting your order timely from the states, but for a dark roast espresso blend,I recommend Red Bird Roaster, out of Montana, in the USA. If I weren't roasting my own, they would be my go-to for a dark roasting.

Altair (original poster)

#7: Post by Altair (original poster) »

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately US based roasters are going to be problematic, time and cost of shipping mostely.

I limited myself to European roasters and have decided on four to start out with based on their reputation for consistency and excellence.

Tim Wendelboe

Bonanza out of Germany

His Majesty The Coffee out of Italy

Morgon out of Sweden

I got a selection from each and will be choosing one medium, one dark, and one blend. I decided to skip light roasts as I don't favor acidic coffee usually, but will be introducing a light roast option in six months.

I will report back on

1- which coffees I feel have the highest potential to practice dialing to the extent of mastery in case someone wishes to repeat this excersize

2- if this whole attempt at limiting choices to focus on skill vs having a larger bean library at hand does indeed to a better espresso life. I suspect it will

Napa Dave

#8: Post by Napa Dave »

Just checked out HMC - looks awesome.

Has anyone tried DARK SIDE OF THE MOODOETIA?

Thoughts?

Altair (original poster)

#9: Post by Altair (original poster) »

That was one of the beans I had ordered. Seems intriguing and if the description is to be believed could make for a great comfort food espresso as someone here puts it. It's supposed to arrive today, will report back

BodieZoffa

#10: Post by BodieZoffa »

I will gladly say to start home roasting... you're investing a lot of time and $ in finding the perfect setup (for you anyway), so why bother throwing $ at the commercial garbage most roasters spew out and do it yourself?