My Top 3 Espresso Blends - Page 3

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
treyd

#21: Post by treyd »

David,
Of the 3 you listed in your OP I have only had the Vivace. It was probably one of the best I had while I was in the Seattle area.
I think the best I had was from a small roaster on the peninsula - Dante's Tornado from Port Townsend Coffee Roasters. It's roasted to Vienna and has a lovely dark color and sheen. The shot has great thick crema and the flavor is well-bodied, smooth and sweet. Based on the flavor profile you say you guys like, I think you would find this quite enjoyable.

I don't often buy roasted beans because I roast at home, but I'll probably give those you listed a try.

Happy hunting!

cliftonlawson

#22: Post by cliftonlawson »

Top three besides my own? :D

ASCENSION COFFEE

CAT & CLOUD

HONEST COFFEE

Advertisement
cliftonlawson

#23: Post by cliftonlawson »

bluesman wrote:You might want to give 49th Parallel Old School Espresso a try. It's a bit costly at $19.75/lb, but whenever I've had it I've loved it - and it's everything you seem to prefer. Here's the roaster's description: "Old School Espresso is ideal for those who prefer low acidity and full body. Dark chocolate aroma with round flavours of cocoa, caramel and molasses."

That is high on my list to try.

mixedup

#24: Post by mixedup »

I have to admit....I've been re-discovering Intelligentsia Black Cat recently. Roughly the same price (Canadian) as some bags from local roasters (cheaper in some cases)....plus, it comes in a 1lb bag and my favourite local bar/cafe gets it in only a couple days off roast.

I also make pretty frequent trips down to Philly and have been enjoying Reanimator's "Foundation" blend.

I used to order pretty frequently from 49th, but then the shipping costs went haywire -- not sure who still stocks it in the city, but I'm sure it's available somewhere.

Corradobrit

#25: Post by Corradobrit »

Caffe Lusso Lion share

Klatch Belle Espresso

Josuma MG

Danesi Gold (when I'm desperate and need to buy something local)

spressomon

#26: Post by spressomon »

DaveC113 wrote:Just restocked Dragonfly's Leam Hammer after a few months off. One of my favorites for sure! Chocolate cherry goodness...
Couldn't resist trying this again especially at their $12/12 sale. Can't wait to taste this with a little more rest but getting the chocolate and very strong lavender notes at 4-days: Tasty!
No Espresso = Depresso

wachuko

#27: Post by wachuko »

bluesman wrote:You might want to give 49th Parallel Old School Espresso a try. It's a bit costly at $19.75/lb, but whenever I've had it I've loved it - and it's everything you seem to prefer. Here's the roaster's description: "Old School Espresso is ideal for those who prefer low acidity and full body. Dark chocolate aroma with round flavours of cocoa, caramel and molasses."

My "house blend" has been Malabar Gold from Josuma since I found it on HB last year. It's another old style sweetie with huge body in the mouth, great crema, and low acidity. It has some Robusta in it, which seems to keep many away from it. But they use very high quality Robusta, and there's no reason I can think of to shun it because of its name. This stuff is delicious! Since you mention David Schomer in the first post of this thread, I'll just add that (per The Shot) he is quoted as having said that Malabar gold is one of this favorite espressos at the 2015 Portland Coffee Fest.
Oh carp...and here I thought that I was done trying different beans... :lol:

I am going to have to try that 49th Parallel Old School Espresso
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

Advertisement
Spitz.me

#28: Post by Spitz.me »

Plus another here for the old School blend from 49th. Fantastic as a daily driver.
LMWDP #670

chipman

#29: Post by chipman »

The great thing about Malabar Gold, besides the taste profile you like is the free shipping and the fact you are local, one day delivery.

HRC-E.B.

#30: Post by HRC-E.B. »

I'm pretty new to this coffee hobby/passion and am still learning the ropes.

Do you people typically mail order coffee from these preferred suppliers? I used to think that if I wanted fresh, I needed to buy whatever is local...?

How fresh is the stuff you order?

How much should I expect to pay for great quality (but not necessarily the most exotic, exclusive stuff)?

The prices of the two best local roasters I k iw range from somewhat reasonable (about $28CAD a kilo, or slightly less than $15CAD a pound) to pretty expensive ($50CAD a kilo or $25 a pound) for a blend. Single origins are significantly more expensive.

The reasonable one has more limited options, and the other one seems really expensive...

This, here's why I'm interested in recommendations for places to order quality from at still reasonable prices.