My go-tos and regular rotation slimming down

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
chanty 77

#1: Post by chanty 77 »

Last August my husband and I had a moderate case of covid. Lost my sense of smell for about 3 days. It came back though, not really noticing any residual effects of that. Haven't gone out to eat much over the last couple years due to expenses, etc. When we have, notice that the food is chintzier and blander for the most part. Most of my espresso blends I use have become blander, and not as tasty lately. I started to think I had some permanent damage to my sense of smell due to covid, but I still get vibrant flavors & smell from certain blends of coffee, great sense of flavor & smell when I cook, when a certain friend of my husband & I cooks for us, and certain restaurants. I determined covid isn't the culprit. Don't think it would be so choosy...

Don't know if coffee along with food is deteriorating. I have now out of so many roasts, have only a few go-tos: Barrington Supernatural & 413, B&W The Natural & Classic, and Holiday & Cimmaron's Courthouse. I've eliminated Olympia (Big Truck & Sweetheart--blah) & Counter Culture(Big Trouble & Gradient--blah).

I don't care for the over smoky, sometimes bitter of dark blends, light doesn't work for me--so stay in the medium, sometimes medium-dark range. SIGH.

BodieZoffa

#2: Post by BodieZoffa »

I know it can be frustrating, but coffee will always change season to season, just like any other agricultural crop. Regardless of how seemingly well controlled the grow, harvest, roasting, selection is there will be variation year-to-year. Over time our senses will change and I can honestly say that a life altering issue that hit me 5 yrs ago causes fluctuations in my taste/smell even daily at times.

People sometimes get caught up in thinking that the same coffee from the same roaster should be identical batch-batch, but no guarantee there either as just so many factors involved. I have been home roasting for 7+ yrs now and have done my fair share and will honestly say I've seen a dip in quality overall in the last 2-3 yrs. No doubt the lame pandemic has caused issues in many ways and of course coffee is very hands on and has been affected along the way. Some green I've had was from the same growing region/same process method and drastic differences in some now compared to what I was getting 2-3 yrs ago. Of course I don't expect the same quality level season to season, but I'm talking about far more quakers, some stones, that sort of thing as well. Almost as if there's less people doing the work as quick as possible and a bit of QC tossed aside. No complaints though as I still appreciate all that's involved in coffee from tree to cup and just something we all have to live with and make the most of it.

I'll also say it's a bit easy to rely on previous experiences with food and life in general, but times change, the environment changes, etc. and simply don't take anything for granted. Make the most of each day and don't get too caught up thinking you're somehow missing out.

chanty 77 (original poster)

#3: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

Thanks so much for your helpful & informative reply! Appreciated it so much. You said, 'Almost as if there's less people doing the work as quick as possible and a bit of QC tossed aside.' My husband and I call it 'covid workers'. Just seems like less effort and desire put in making a better product these days. At least that is my observation in quite a bit. I loved what you said here, 'Make the most of each day and don't get too caught up thinking you're somehow missing out.' So true in keeping an upbeat attitude. Thanks again!

chanty 77 (original poster)

#4: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

Again thanks for your response Bodie. I begin to think that I am one of the very few that feels the way I do about my coffee/espresso. Sigh