My favorite roasters so far

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Tomtg

#1: Post by Tomtg »

6 months in to enjoying better coffee I have tried a few roasters mostly in New England and have found the following three to be my favorites so far:

George Howell Coffee
Temple Coffee (California)
Flight Coffee (New Hampshire formerly CQ Coffee)

Of course not all the coffees from these roasters have knocked me out but these three have given me more truly great coffees!

Honorable mention to Mike Shea's Roasters in Massachusetts. A very solid coffee that is a bit cheaper if my monthly coffee budget has gone over. :D

I have also narrowed down that I really really like coffees from Ethiopia, Guatemala, Nicaragua and Colombia. I had one great Kenyan coffee from George Howell but others have not been as enticing. I had one AWESOME Rwandan coffee from Flight coffee but need to try more coffees from Rwanda.

Still need to explore coffees from Indonesia. (did have one great coffee from West Java roasted by Flight coffee!)

I also know I want to try Intelligentsia, Red Bird and Klatch coffee roasters.

compellingrich

#2: Post by compellingrich »

George Howell and Temple are as good as it gets imho. Haven't tried Flight. I would recommend Klatch, SweetBloom, Novo, Papa Lin's, Heart, and Tim Wendelboe. It was a great Rwanda year, and I've had several outstanding Colombian lots.

Advertisement
boost

#3: Post by boost replying to compellingrich »

How do I get Tim Wendelboe's in U.S.?

Chert

#4: Post by Chert »

CQ was a much better name. Glad the coffee is still great.

MADCAP comes to mind.
LMWDP #198

Bodka Coffee

#5: Post by Bodka Coffee »

Don't know where you are (on phone) but if you get to nyc area can't you get Tim Wendelboe from Budin?

hipporun

#6: Post by hipporun replying to Bodka Coffee »

You can. He "exports" his coffee to NYC.

Bodka Coffee

#7: Post by Bodka Coffee »

Thought so. I went there with beer&mathematics a year or two again. Bright shot it was. :-)

Advertisement
espressoonmymind

#8: Post by espressoonmymind »

enjoy these days Klatch Coffee, Extracto, Dragonfly, Paisley Road Roasters, but best cup I've had so far was from Screaming Beans in Amsterdam this summer. Talk about cocoa and was the biggest doubles I've seen. Made on a manual Mirage Idrocompresso the woman new how to pull down on that grip.

rittem1

#9: Post by rittem1 »

I am working on a couple of blends from 'local' roasters. One is from Caffe Lusso (Espresso) in Redmond WA. The other is from Nossa Familia in Portland. I got their Full Cycle blend and with the 20% Home Barista discount it ended up being a pretty good deal for 2 lbs shipped. (HB20). I believe they are the same roaster/cafe that DrGary visited recently.
LMWDP #517

Tomtg (original poster)

#10: Post by Tomtg (original poster) »

compellingrich wrote:George Howell and Temple are as good as it gets imho. Haven't tried Flight. I would recommend Klatch, SweetBloom, Novo, Papa Lin's, Heart, and Tim Wendelboe. It was a great Rwanda year, and I've had several outstanding Colombian lots.

Thanks for the Roaster names! I will put them on my list!

Of the ones you named I had only heard of Klatch.