Most forgiving espresso blends?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
lancealot

#1: Post by lancealot »

Just curious, what would you regard as the most forgiving blends you have worked with for espresso? When I say forgiving, I am thinking of the gamut: dial-in, (grind and temperature, dose) and also preparation (no WDT, just tamp and go). What is a coffee we could recommend to a newbie and know that they would find success, satisfaction and confidence? Flavor descriptors would be nice.

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

I haven't bought it in a while, but Nossa Familia's Full Cycle was one of the easiest blends for me.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

tennisman03110

#3: Post by tennisman03110 »

I don't know about "forgiving", but Onyx Southern Weather.

https://onyxcoffeelab.com/products/southern-weather

Not only do they have a video dedicated to brewing it as espresso, it's very well detailed on flavors you should taste, etc.

I've only had this coffee a few times, but always find it pleasing and easy to brew as espresso. And I'm not an expert, I just grind, shake a bit, and tamp. No pressure profiling, etc.

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

You might consider blends from a roaster that services a large commercial clientele. They need something that will produce acceptable shots and milk drinks for a wide range of drinkers across a wide range of equipment, often with little or no "barista skill" in restaurants, bakeries, corner cafes, ... It needs to work on an aging "dragon" HX that hasn't been flushed and a worn-out Mazzer Mini that "came with the shop", entry-level commercial gear, up through "designer" commercial machines.

Regrettably, "by definition" this will be a nondescript, boring, roast-forward espresso, one that those here with more refined palates likely would never buy at this point to explore in depth.

jmotzi

#5: Post by jmotzi »

Black Cat from Intelligentsia is a classic and also good. I used that exclusively for some years before branching out to other flavors.
LMWDP #662

cccpu

#6: Post by cccpu »

4&20 from Red Rooster
Petunias from Revelator

The distinguishing factor surrounding their ease of use being an abundance of innate sweetness - lending a lot of drinkability and versatility to their use as espresso. The 4&20 excels as straight shots and hot milk drinks, more spice, complexity and chocolate, the Petunias is a classic chocolate-cherry that can be used in milk drinks both hot or iced.
LMWDP #583

JamieS

#7: Post by JamieS »

Been enjoying Revelator's Petunias blend so far, so thanks for recommending. It has been easy to get some really nice pulls that I've enjoyed as straight shots, while my wife is liking the lattes.

cccpu

#8: Post by cccpu »

Oh good!
Have you got 4&20 lined to try out yet as well?
LMWDP #583

JamieS

#9: Post by JamieS »

No, not yet as I have a 5 lb. bag of Petunias Blend to enjoy first. Looking at Red Rooster's selections the Funky Chicken flavor profile actually sounds more up my alley - have you tried that one as well?

cccpu

#10: Post by cccpu replying to JamieS »

Yes, and while it is excellent for filter, one of the blend components doesn't work as espresso, leaving an "off" bitter? Earthy? Funky aftertaste. As filter, both Funky Chicken and the Decaf Funky Chicken are very delicious.
LMWDP #583