More than single-dimensional medium to medium-dark roasted coffee

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
chanty 77

#1: Post by chanty 77 »

Looking to try a medium to medium dark roast that will hold up in about 5 oz. of steamed milk (cappuccino). I always do two double shots in one cappa. I really enjoy Nossa's Teodora, as it is so easy to dial in & has a nice somewhat chocolatey flavor, but don't notice too much else. Also tried a very small (glad they do this) offering-4oz. of their Full Cycle. By the time I finished dialing it in, enjoyed the two double shots--and didn't have enough to make but one double. I may order 1/2 a lb next time. Could taste a little bit of citrus--not normally my thing, now blueberries in a blend is delightful. Yet, it was more than one dimensional in flavors. One cup isn't enough for me to put what else I could taste, maybe a little nutty? Hmmmm. Caffe Lusso GMC is harder for me to dial in, and I get more of an ashy, smoky flavor which is not what I'm aiming for.
Any suggestions? And thanks!!

njtnjt
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by njtnjt »

George Howells Alchemy ~
Cheers!
-Nicholas

God wants us to walk but the devil sends a limo.

LMWDP #414

chanty 77 (original poster)

#3: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) replying to njtnjt »

Can you tell me more about it? Thanks. I looked it up, and it says it is a darker espresso. I do enjoy Medium-Dark, but not if it would be just purely a Dark espresso. In the past I have tried the dark roasts and mainly get smoke, burnt flavors with lots of oil on the beans. I can imagine what oily beans due to the burrs.

njtnjt
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by njtnjt replying to chanty 77 »

I'd call this a medium light espresso roast. It's very complex tasting. A real crowd pleaser when I have guests over. Nothing burnt or oily about it. Very much on the lighter side for an espresso roast.
Cheers!
-Nicholas

LMWDP #414

cskorton

#5: Post by cskorton »

I love Passenger coffee's stuff. The best cortado I've ever had, which used an 18g dose with about 4 or 5 oz of milk was with their Stowaway blend. In milk, a totally different note gets highlighted. I personally think it's like cinnamon or spice, but the orchid and chocolate notes are also easy to pick out.

The best shot of straight espresso I ever had was with their Montecarlos. Sometimes I get it where it really highlights the front note of clementine, but occasionally I'll get an amazing shot that minimizes the clementine front note and really clearly brings out toasted almonds and milk chocolate in the middle and back end. In milk though, I think the stowaway works better, but I've had very good cappuccino's with Montecarlos too.

My go to for milk drinks are usually Italian blends believe it or not. Love Filicori Zecchini delicato or Naples style very dark roasts like Motta, Passalaqua, or Saka. The robusta punches through very nicely in milk highlighting chocolate notes. In straight shots, they can be tannic (like wine), bitter (like an aperitivo) and chocolately. Very multidimensional. Some folks don't like it tho.

#6: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

njtnjt wrote:I'd call this a medium light espresso roast. It's very complex tasting. A real crowd pleaser when I have guests over. Nothing burnt or oily about it. Very much on the lighter side for an espresso roast.
Yeah, I think that's what I heard. It's weird that the website says a dark espresso when it is more light medium. Unfortunately, I probably wouldn't care for it as I love medium to medium dark (not light, not too dark).

#7: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

cskorton wrote:I love Passenger coffee's stuff. The best cortado I've ever had, which used an 18g dose with about 4 or 5 oz of milk was with their Stowaway blend. In milk, a totally different note gets highlighted. I personally think it's like cinnamon or spice, but the orchid and chocolate notes are also easy to pick out.

The best shot of straight espresso I ever had was with their Montecarlos. Sometimes I get it where it really highlights the front note of clementine, but occasionally I'll get an amazing shot that minimizes the clementine front note and really clearly brings out toasted almonds and milk chocolate in the middle and back end. In milk though, I think the stowaway works better, but I've had very good cappuccino's with Montecarlos too.

My go to for milk drinks are usually Italian blends believe it or not. Love Filicori Zecchini delicato or Naples style very dark roasts like Motta, Passalaqua, or Saka. The robusta punches through very nicely in milk highlighting chocolate notes. In straight shots, they can be tannic (like wine), bitter (like an aperitivo) and chocolately. Very multidimensional. Some folks don't like it tho.
Thanks for that! I looked up the Stowaway on their site, but it doesn't say whether it is a light, medium medium dark or dark roast.

So the delicato, is that a medium or medium-dark roast? I looked on Passenger's website, and one can't contact them by email, just phone. They listed the Stowaway as a medium, but lighter body. With a lighter body, still stands up in milk drinks though?

lancealot

#8: Post by lancealot »

Just buy the Alchemy. Get a bag of Daterra Espresso from them while you are at it. Don't over think it.

cskorton

#9: Post by cskorton »

chanty 77 wrote:Thanks for that! I looked up the Stowaway on their site, but it doesn't say whether it is a light, medium medium dark or dark roast.

So the delicato, is that a medium or medium-dark roast? I looked on Passenger's website, and one can't contact them by email, just phone. They listed the Stowaway as a medium, but lighter body. With a lighter body, still stands up in milk drinks though?
I wouldn't get too caught up in light vs medium. Different beans will have different taste regardless of roast level, there's a good reason why passenger eschews that terminology (they're one of the top roasters in the country). I've talked to them directly over Instagram messenger, they were very nice and responsive.

Regardless, I'd classify Stowaway as medium, their Daterra as medium, and Montecarlos as medium light to medium. The Italian blends I mentioned are medium dark to dark.

I'm assuming you're looking for medium because you're looking for beans with mild to low acidity/brightness, but also complex notes that change on the tongue highlighting nuts, caramels, and chocolates?

Any of these suggestions would do the trick :wink:

Someone else suggested Daterra, but I wasn't a huge fan of it. It's a big explosion of red berry on the front end, but the finish was disappointing to me.

njtnjt
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by njtnjt »

lancealot wrote:Just buy the Alchemy. Get a bag of Daterra Espresso from them while you are at it. Don't over think it.
+1
Cheers!
-Nicholas

LMWDP #414