Moka Harar and Kenya AA questions

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
thechristophershow

#1: Post by thechristophershow »

Hey, everyone. Found a local roaster (Red Barn Roasters, Upton, MA) and I want to stop in and buy some fresh coffee. Last year I tried Red Barn's Kenya AA from another local store - don't know how fresh it was - and it was delicious. This is going to sound strange, but sometimes I discover coffees that have what I can only describe as a pea-like flavor, and I love that, and this had that. Don't know what gives certain coffees that flavor. Is it region? The washing process? The particular coffee variety?

But anyway, my point: I want to buy this Kenya AA again, but roasted fresh. I'm sure it'll taste a bit different. So are there any recommended brewing methods for Kenya AA in particular? I have a cheap dripper, a French press, a V60, an Aeropress.

Second question: I want to buy two coffees while I'm at Red Barn so that I don't have to drive out there again next week. I was thinking of their Ethiopian Moka Harar. I read online that Harar is a natural-processed coffee. Is that always true, or just generally? I've been wanting to try one of those. And so if I do go for this Harar, same question as above: are there any recommended brewing methods for it?

As you can tell, I'm only just getting into coffee more seriously. Still learning. I'd appreciate any info here!

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

Use a finer than usual grind to brew the Kenya, otherwise any method will work. The Harar is from northern Ethiopia, it is less floral and more oak, leather, and cocoa flavored than southern Ehipoian coffees like Yrgacheffe. Sometimes there is also a blueberry flavor. Grind it a little coarser than usual.
Jim Schulman

EddyQ

#3: Post by EddyQ »

Kenyan coffees very generally are high grown arabica varietals SL28 or SL34. Combined with the climate, soil, processing and other variables make the coffee rather unique. But what also matters is how the beans are roasted. Since most roasters value the higher acidity flavors of a fine Kenyan beans, they are typically roasted on the lighter side. So if you are used to getting darker, non-Kenyan coffee, lower altitude grown coffee from the grocery, fresh roasted quality Kenyan AA will be shockingly different. When brewed properly, it is wonderful (IMO).

But AA is not a specific type but rather a grade (AA is a high grade). I've had some very nice AB grades as well.
I too live in MA, but have not ventured out to try Red Barn Roasters. Having good fresh locally roasted coffee is the best! I recommend experimenting with all your brew methods. There is no reason a good cup isn't possible from any that you mentioned.

Try that Ethiopian too. A natural processed coffee is when they dry the cherry onto the bean, then mechanically remove. The result is usually more fruit forward flavors and aromas.
LMWDP #671

sweaner
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by sweaner »

Thanks for pointing out this roaster. Nice prices, nice selection, free shipping over $30!
Scott
LMWDP #248