Misty Valley Natural

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
bean2friends

Postby bean2friends » Aug 23, 2018, 6:11 pm

I just received notice from Coffee Bean Corral that they have this bean in stock. I have never tried it, but remember reading about it some time ago. I have developed a taste for Ethiopian Naturals. I wonder if anyone here has roasted this? If so, what did you think?

jpender

Postby jpender » Aug 24, 2018, 11:24 am

I don't roast but I purchased this coffee from a good local roaster. Ethiopian naturals have been among my favorite coffees over the years but I could not get this one to work despite repeated attempts. I bought several bags spaced over a few weeks, thinking the roast was just off somehow. But they were all the same: fruity but with an unpleasant harshness. I don't know how to brew this coffee. I have given up on it, at least for the time being.

ira

Postby ira » Aug 24, 2018, 2:09 pm

The Ididio Misty Valley from Sweet Maria's 5 years ago or so is the best coffee I've ever roasted and was at one time commented on as possibly the second best coffee ever sold by SM. Has not been around since then. If it's even close to that it should be an amazing blueberry bomb. But, different years mean different coffee.

Ira

bean2friends

Postby bean2friends » Aug 27, 2018, 5:59 pm

Well, I couldn't resist. I bought 5 pounds. I'm anxious to try it.

jpender

Postby jpender » Sep 16, 2018, 12:31 pm

So how did you like the beans?

The other day I didn't have quite enough left of my current coffee for a dose, so I dug out the Misty Valley from the freezer and added some (about 20% of the dose). It added a very pleasant blueberry note. Then I tried with 100% Misty Valley and, unfortunately, it was once again harsh and not very likeable.