Maybe asking a lot, less fruit, more robust, but not smoky espresso - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
BaristaBob

#11: Post by BaristaBob »

I've been hooked on Intelligentsia Black Cat Analog (not their Classic), if you want to avoid the citrus like flavor, and hone in on intense chocolate. Easy to pull medium roast at 18g in/40-45g out/35 sec./ 201F

As a side note, I use to really enjoy Counter Culture's Hologram for the incredible blueberry note followed by a chocolate bomb, but over the past year it's been very disappointing. :cry:
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

chanty 77 (original poster)

#12: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

Thanks Bob. I have tried in the past & very recently their Classic Black Cat, not impressed. You make the Analog sound delicious.

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
MatGreiner
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by MatGreiner »

I can second Intelligentsia Analog.
Yes, I had Redbird years ago and it was the milk chocolate snickers bar sometimes mentioned. My experience in the past two years has been that it is reliably good, but not the same. Less complexity and always a tad darker than I want.
Sour can mean a lot of things. As long as the shot isn't running too fast, either a ristretto can mute acidity or a longer ratio can balance with sweetness.

Have repeatedly seen good mentions of the Nosso, but haven't tried it. Report back!

Markgrubb@aol.com

#14: Post by Markgrubb@aol.com »

Some coffees I believe fit that profile:

Paradise Nuevo and Blacksmith.

Malabar Gold

BaristaBob

#15: Post by BaristaBob » replying to Markgrubb@aol.com »

I'll second Paradise Roasters Espresso Nuevo...a chocolate bomb that is again easy to pull.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

DaveB

#16: Post by DaveB »

lancealot wrote:Nossa Famillia Teodoro's Italian Roast. Strait up chocolate. Not sour, not bitter. It says Italian roast but it is just a smidge on the darker side of medium roast.

Use the code HBDEAL20 and you'll get 20% off. Free shipping right now.

5lbs shipped for $60.

Pull it at 18g in and 36g out @ 200 degrees in 28-34 seconds.
Thanks for the tip! The 5 lb bag arrived today. Pulled an afternoon shot on the Robot - was quite nice, 18g/30g. Only preheated the portafilter, but think this would be fine with none no preheating, will try that tomorrow. Next I pulled for a latte on the BDB using the same grind for the Redbird Sweet Blue I've been using, but it ran too fast so I reduced the flow considerably to get 32g in 24 sec @ 199°. Was very nice with rich chocolate, despite the less than optimal extraction. Will grind a full number finer on the conical tomorrow. Cheers!
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

#17: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

Does anyone know which is darker---Caffe Lusso's GMC or Nossa's Teodoro? I'm thinking lacking the overly bitter/smoky that too dark gets. Thanks.

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision
DaveB

#18: Post by DaveB »

The last time I had GMC I dialed in at 7.5 on the conical. The Nossa Familia is at 6.0. This would indicate a darker roast, but visually they look very similar. Pulling the NF at 199°, versus 203° for GMC.
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

#19: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

Thanks, that will give me an idea with my Vario. Unfortunately, don't have a PID on my Gaggia Classic, but I do know from testing it with the styrofoam cup method--it is heating what it should. One day, I'll break down & upgrade on my espresso machine.

Teamawe

#20: Post by Teamawe »

DaveB wrote:Thanks for the tip! The 5 lb bag arrived today. Pulled an afternoon shot on the Robot - was quite nice, 18g/30g. Only preheated the portafilter, but think this would be fine with none no preheating, will try that tomorrow. Next I pulled for a latte on the BDB using the same grind for the Redbird Sweet Blue I've been using, but it ran too fast so I reduced the flow considerably to get 32g in 24 sec @ 199°. Was very nice with rich chocolate, despite the less than optimal extraction. Will grind a full number finer on the conical tomorrow. Cheers!
How is this coffee now that you have lived with it for a few days? I'm looking for a similar flavor profile and wanted to see if you are happy with them before I try them myself.