Mail Order vs. Local Roasters? - Page 5

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
murse

#41: Post by murse »

ghostchili wrote:I live in the Milwaukee area and we have several local roasters.
Please name names.

Thanks!
-Brian

ghostchili

#42: Post by ghostchili »

Anodyne - I get my beans from Anodyne. My favorite is Nerve Tonic.(That's what I'm currently using.) My local coffee shop uses Mind Tonic, too acidic for me. https://anodynecoffee.com/

Valentine - Another awesome local roaster, I would use them if i could get it as easily as Anodyne https://valentinecoffeeco.com/

Colectivo - I used to get my beans fresh from Colectivo in Wauwatosa and used Toro espresso. They have a ton of options in stock and fresh. http://colectivo.com/

Stone Creek - Was using them as they are close to me as well. They have classes if you are new to the hobby. https://www.stonecreekcoffee.com/

Brother_Bluto

#43: Post by Brother_Bluto »

I try and keep as local as possible. Some around Nashville that I will regularly buy: Bongo Java (my go-to), Crema, Frothy Monkey & Split Bean Roasting Co. The later is a nearby, small veteran-owned coffee shop that I'll pick up beans between bags. We travel frequently to Portland, OR... and will also pick up beans from Coava for a treat, and Stumptown. Have looked at TradeCoffee.com , but haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet.

Nanilla

#44: Post by Nanilla »

I also prefer local (DFW) and there are a few good ones, but it's nice being able to quickly dial in roasts that others have used quickly.

jeffg2020

#45: Post by jeffg2020 »

How does freshness play into this? If beans are shipped the day after roasting and take 2 or 3 days to arrive, that should be pretty ideal, right? Because they arrive after the out-gassing period has finished. But then how many days of usability do you have left? (I'm talking in an espresso context.)

tracer bullet

#46: Post by tracer bullet »

I like buying locally, I certainly haven't exhausted what is offered and what I can do with it.

In MN - Alakef in Duluth (mail order or buy in Twin Cities as well), Paradise Roasters in Maple Grove, and Dunn Brothers in a few spots around town. I'd just caution that some of the Dunn coffee IMO is over-roasted but certainly not all of it.

tracer bullet

#47: Post by tracer bullet »

jeffg2020 wrote:How does freshness play into this? If beans are shipped the day after roasting and take 2 or 3 days to arrive, that should be pretty ideal, right? Because they arrive after the out-gassing period has finished. But then how many days of usability do you have left? (I'm talking in an espresso context.)
I find that my purchases really change about 3 weeks after the roasting date. That's when the grind needs to start to get finer to keep the same shot flow and the crema begins to noticeably drop. I'm not good enough to say it's got an adverse (or beneficial) effect on the flavor, but I do notice the change around then. Maybe closer to 2.5 weeks. May vary for others but seems pretty typical for me.

I still use beans after that but may be more likely to throw milk at the drinks if I'm less happy with any flavors.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#48: Post by JohnB. »

jeffg2020 wrote:How does freshness play into this? If beans are shipped the day after roasting and take 2 or 3 days to arrive, that should be pretty ideal, right? Because they arrive after the out-gassing period has finished. But then how many days of usability do you have left? (I'm talking in an espresso context.)
I find that most espresso blends I order on line need 6-7 days rest so the typical 2-3 day Priority Mail shipping isn't an issue. After they hit their prime they get vac sealed in jars & go into my storage freezer where they stay good for 6 months+.
LMWDP 267

yakster
Supporter ♡

#49: Post by yakster »

I find it hard to find locally roasted coffee that's been roasted in the previous day or two, it's usually at least seven days from roast so I think it compares favorably. Sometimes it's closer to two weeks, even when reaching for the bags in back. When I drove up to SCAA in Portland in April 2012, I picked up some espresso to pull on a lever fest we were holding in a hotel room and they only had very fresh coffee. I brought my Gaggia Factory. It was Wandering Goat Coffee, IIRC. I had them go find a bag in back with closer to seven days rest on it so it would be ready to pull when I got there since the fresh roast would be peaking after SCAA finished.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Seanmells

#50: Post by Seanmells »

I'm lucky in that I think I have at least one top notch roaster that is local to me (who has the lion's share of my coffee purchasing), as well as few other quality ones easily available. Original Portland is a very food focused city, and as a result more and more restaurants and cafes are constantly opening up and offering coffee from well respected national roasters.
Just off the top of my head I think I can now acquire Heart, Stumptown, Parlor, and George Howell at cafes in town.
Honestly, I'm always interested in mail-ordering interesting coffees, but I don't even take full advantage of what is available to me most of the time.