Mail-order Coffee and COVID-19 - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
baldheadracing
Supporter ❤

#11: Post by baldheadracing »

Background: Retired. Worked in population health for over 20 years in Canada federally; of interest here would be the projects estimating disease survival rates for a population (and morbidity/mortality). Not an expert in anything.
What I'm interested in is my worst espresso being fantastic - James Hoffmann

bluesman

#12: Post by bluesman » replying to baldheadracing »

What's needed is daily testing of statistically chosen and sized random sampling of the entire population, to determine incidence & prevalence of cases plus rates and patterns of spread and to start correlating these with the many potential effectors like geography, demography, local population health data, patterns of shopping (eg retail face to face vs online with delivery) etc etc. We should be correlating these with social media posts, search engine inquiries, local sales and deliveries of goods (both obviously related and not, since we have no idea what things affect transmission and response to this disease).

The above described effort would greatly support optimum resource allocation, save lives, guide us to more efficient utilization of healthcare resources, and create a template for the next time. It's always more effective (and cheaper) to do it right than to do it again and again and again. Hope is not a sound business plan.

This is the best test of our grasp of population health yet. I fear we'll be asked to repeat the course.

On the bright side, it's even possible that espresso consumption heightens our immunity. I choose to believe this and act accordingly.
★ Helpful

Dogshot

#13: Post by Dogshot »

The packaging, not the beans are likely the biggest risk. Use some Lysol wipes to wipe down the box the coffee arrives in, and carefully wipe down each bag of coffee. I can't imagine the beans themselves being a likely source for transmission.
LMWDP #106

nuketopia

#14: Post by nuketopia »

Ditto on packaging and mail in general. I stopped dropping mail on the kitchen counter. I wash my hands after opening mail and packages and disposing of it. (it's like 80% junk mail anyway).

Same with cash money, groceries and anything that comes in from out of the house or that I handle while out.

Handle everything like it has a booger on it.

baldheadracing
Supporter ❤

#15: Post by baldheadracing »

bluesman wrote:What's needed is daily testing of statistically chosen and sized random sampling of the entire population, to determine incidence & prevalence of cases plus rates and patterns of spread and to start correlating these with the many potential effectors like geography, demography, local population health data, patterns of shopping (eg retail face to face vs online with delivery) etc etc. We should be correlating these with social media posts, search engine inquiries, local sales and deliveries of goods (both obviously related and not, since we have no idea what things affect transmission and response to this disease).

The above described effort would greatly support optimum resource allocation, save lives, guide us to more efficient utilization of healthcare resources, and create a template for the next time. It's always more effective (and cheaper) to do it right than to do it again and again and again. Hope is not a sound business plan.

This is the best test of our grasp of population health yet. I fear we'll be asked to repeat the course.

On the bright side, it's even possible that espresso consumption heightens our immunity. I choose to believe this and act accordingly.
I can't comment as the Canadian and American systems are different, and what should be done will be different. I do remember reading somewhere that CDC went to using their flu surveillance system in February, and that a COVID-19 surveillance system will be up in the coming weeks.

Those interested in the public health side of the pandemic may find the CDC plan for the situation (2017, updated from 2007) a good read - or look, I think that the graphics are well done: https://stacks.cdc.gov/view/cdc/45220

... and it's time for espresso :D
What I'm interested in is my worst espresso being fantastic - James Hoffmann

iploya
Supporter

#16: Post by iploya »

I'm not worried about getting COVID-19 from mail-order coffee from quality roasters. That risk seems extremely remote. I'm more worried about the threat to supply of coffee I want due to in some cases reasonable and in other cases draconian restraints on trade. I'm also worried about my local coffee shop going out of business.
--AB

MNate

#17: Post by MNate »

My thought in this regard is which bean to order such that I will use less milk or even none at all just to cut the number of trips to the store down a bit. I usually do about 4 oz of milk, but I think I could cut that back a bit, thought I doubt I'd really want to do straight espresso. Hmm... which to order... (not that I'm seeking recommendations here. I'm looking back at other threads to see.)

Iowa_Boy

#18: Post by Iowa_Boy »

My two cents: Do what is recommended, and stay home when possible, socially distance yourself, and wash your hands.
Specifically to coffee, now is the time to support local and national roasters if we want them to survive. Many free shipping deals from top roasters currently. It's a great deal for us and will help keep them in business! Nossa, Olympia, George Howell, and others all currently have shipping promos.

chipman

#19: Post by chipman »

Having your groceries delivered may be a little expensive during these up coming weeks, but, it's a way of supporting your local businesses and avoiding the ridiculous lines. My friend attempted to shop at Costco Business this morning ( she is stubborn) there was a block long line at 7:00 am. I think she learned her lesson.

Mark08859

#20: Post by Mark08859 »

Within the last few days, I have received two emails from roasters assuring the safety of their coffee. They are taking extra steps for cleaning and protocols for their employees. I would imagine the majority, if not all roasters, are doing the same thing.