Looking for a very flavorful medium to medium-dark roasted coffee - Page 8

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Me2

#71: Post by Me2 »

SJM wrote:Have you tried any of the coffees from Northbound?
If not, this one might be worth a go.
I am partial to a lot of their roasts (Prana, Mainline, Happy Camper), but I think the American Beauty would be the place to start.
https://northboundcoffee.com/store/#!/A ... ory=720653
This was a good suggestion. Really enjoyed it. I've had the site bookmarked for a couple years and never pulled the trigger.

chanty 77 (original poster)

#72: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

May try the Northbound in the next couple months. Sounds very promising.

Me2

#73: Post by Me2 » replying to chanty 77 »

I'm about to crack open mainline, had American beauty previously. Will post results here.

#74: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) » replying to Me2 »

What say ye? Of the American Beauty? I will be getting 12 oz. in the mail next weeks sometime. I try never to crack open a bag before 7-8 days post roast.

nameisjoey

#75: Post by nameisjoey »

Chanty,
Have you tried Nossa Familia's Full Cycle and Teodoro's blend?

I really think you'd like both. They offer a 20% off coupon for HB as well.

cmin

#76: Post by cmin »

Chromatic Opus is pry my favorite med dark offering.

jpender

#77: Post by jpender »

@cmin: After you mentioned Opus in another thread I ordered some. They had "free" shipping and sent it USPS Priority 1-Day. I think it's the only time I've ever received a coffee in the mail that was roasted the previous day. The bag was all puffed up!

I was nervous about how dark it looked. In the deep basket of my Robot it was like looking at a black hole. I've bought other dark blends recommended on HB only to be disappointed. And the first few shots of the Opus were admittedly a tad bitter. But soon enough I had it dialed it in and was was really enjoying it. I ended up wishing the bag had been larger. I'll be buying more of that one for sure, probably soon.

#78: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

nameisjoey wrote:Chanty,
Have you tried Nossa Familia's Full Cycle and Teodoro's blend?

I really think you'd like both. They offer a 20% off coupon for HB as well.
Yes, tried both Teodoro & Full Cycle---god a little bored with the one dimensional "light" chocolate, but do really enjoy the Full Cycle, has more depth to it--not overly citrusy--yet some along with other flavors punching in. Not even sure exactly what I'm "tasting" completely. All I know is that it had multi faceted flavors. Will have on my regular rotation.

I wanted to tell you (if you didn't see my post on the B&W blends) that I now really, really enjoy the Traditional. What I did was put the temperature from 203° to 200°, and that made a world of difference in taste. The ashy-bitterness was gone, and it was just a very flavorful deep darker chocolate to me--but not boring.

I have 12 oz. of the American Beauty that someone recommended and a 12 oz. of Paradise's Nuevo to try. I like trying various blends--but so far my favorites are B&W Traditional, B&W Classic, Nossa Full Cycle, Olympia's Sweetheart & Big Truck.

I like trying newer blends, but always pretty much in the Medium roast. Have gotten away from dark roasts completely, don't care for light either. It's like with food--don't want to eat the same food no matter how much I love it constantly.

cmin

#79: Post by cmin »

jpender wrote:@cmin: After you mentioned Opus in another thread I ordered some. They had "free" shipping and sent it USPS Priority 1-Day. I think it's the only time I've ever received a coffee in the mail that was roasted the previous day. The bag was all puffed up!

I was nervous about how dark it looked. In the deep basket of my Robot it was like looking at a black hole. I've bought other dark blends recommended on HB only to be disappointed. And the first few shots of the Opus were admittedly a tad bitter. But soon enough I had it dialed it in and was was really enjoying it. I ended up wishing the bag had been larger. I'll be buying more of that one for sure, probably soon.
I love Opus, it's one of the only darker roast I really enjoy. They nail the roast on it. To me something like Redbird (which I haven't had in forever was way more astringent and bitter). I usually stick to medium maybe medium light but I looooove Opus. Chromatic peeps told me they always have people complimenting them on Opus like how did you guys make a dark roast this good with really none of the bad dark roast traits, like tannic bitterness, astringency, burn notes etc

They do 5lb bags too

#80: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) » replying to cmin »

How oily are the beans? Do they gum up your grinder quicker than a normal medium roast? Thanks.