Looking for a very flavorful medium to medium-dark roasted coffee - Page 7

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
chanty 77 (original poster)

#61: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

What's a little disconcerting to me with all the myriad of mostly medium to some medium-dark roasts I've been trying over the last many months--it seems the ones I love certain fruit notes (blueberry, cherry(sweet, not tart)) seem to lose their fruit after a few days of opening the bag. Then not a lot else going on it seems flavorwise. I keep the sealed bag in an AirScape container. No, I don't freeze (my own reasons don't want to get into here). Becoming a little frustrating. I don't think it's my "smeller" as I can very distinctly smell my fragrances I spray on, every food item I ingest & even the "loud" odors I wish I didn't smell--smells that people will say, "Wow, you have a good sense of smell."

#62: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

So, after I finish the stash I have left--I will probably try the B&W Classic and Natural. B&W said this about the Natural, "If you want something wilder, less balanced, but also featuring more terroir than roasting flavors, then the Natural is a good way to go." Said this about the Classic, "The Classic is exactly as the name implies-a really nice cup of coffee tastin' coffee." The Traditional sounds more one-dimensional. I am finding I really don't mind have some fruit in my espresso--just not overly acidic. For example, if lemon was punching through, if it was in the background not bad--but in the forefront, no. I am also finding I need more complexity. It has to punch through my cappuccinos flavor-wise. I never add a lot of milk--to me that just blows the flavors away. I did go through all of the posts here and another thread & the Search--but not exactly finding this: which one of the B&W would pair best in a cappuccino where the flavors wouldn't get lost and not be overly acidic? Thanks.

Phaedrus

#63: Post by Phaedrus »

cpreston wrote:I recently tried Amsterdam from Joe Coffee in NYC. It's medium dark but multilayered in flavor. They claim

It's my favorite comfort blend so far.
Their description says it's for drip. You liked it as an espresso?

dparrish
Supporter ♡

#64: Post by dparrish »

chanty 77 wrote:Is the Sweetheart blend a medium roast? Any oil on their beans? Most of the medium I have tried are not oily (which I avoid), thanks.
I would classify it as medium-dark. Not oily. You can smell sweetness from the beans, not roast.

#65: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) replying to dparrish »

I did order the Sweetheart blend & just finished it the other day. I actually tasted cherry & enjoyed this the longer the roast lasted me. I will probably put this one on my rotation. Now I'm debating on trying the B&W Natural, Classic & Traditional. Just not sure if they will fit my flavor profile. I really don't care for the one dimensional "chocolate" anymore. I like stone fruit more than the real citrusy flavors. I don't mind some acidic if it makes the blend more complex--but don't like too much acidic. Do not care for light roasts, but really don't care for the over roasted dark either. Medium to maybe some medium-dark blends are my favorites.

cpreston
Supporter ♡

#66: Post by cpreston »

Phaedrus wrote:Their description says it's for drip. You liked it as an espresso?
I've been using it with Aeropress. Haven't tried it as espresso yet, sorry.

#67: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

I have tried Nossa's Full Cycle a couple times in the past. On day 9 post roast--opened yesterday. I have to say I'm not real thrilled with it thus far (and maybe it will get better like I remember). I7G, 26-27seconds, 201°--help with the acidity. I like some acidity, but not overwhelming. Just is more thin than I remember. Not getting that full, rich mouth feel like I remember with it. Maybe I need to make the grind noticely coarser & add more grams of beans.

drH

#68: Post by drH »

chanty 77 wrote:I did order the Sweetheart blend & just finished it the other day. I actually tasted cherry & enjoyed this the longer the roast lasted me. I will probably put this one on my rotation. Now I'm debating on trying the B&W Natural, Classic & Traditional. Just not sure if they will fit my flavor profile. I really don't care for the one dimensional "chocolate" anymore. I like stone fruit more than the real citrusy flavors. I don't mind some acidic if it makes the blend more complex--but don't like too much acidic. Do not care for light roasts, but really don't care for the over roasted dark either. Medium to maybe some medium-dark blends are my favorites.

I tried the Classic and Traditional recently. I liked both but the Classic was much better than I expected. Now one of my favorites... nice as espresso or Chemex

#69: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

drH wrote: I tried the Classic and Traditional recently. I liked both but the Classic was much better than I expected. Now one of my favorites... nice as espresso or Chemex
So, these may be my next ones to try. I'm beginning to think I am getting pickier and pickier.

#70: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

Okay! Today I ordered a bag of B&W Classic & Traditional roasts. Fingers crossed.....lol