Looking for a very flavorful medium to medium-dark roasted coffee - Page 6

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Ken5
Supporter ♡

#51: Post by Ken5 »

chanty 77 wrote:Very interesting. This has me wanting to try a bag after I get the Olympia Sweetheart in the mail. I"m trying to figure out the grapefruit not being acidic/sour.
Well, guess what I mean is that it tastes acidic in the sense of grapefruit, not sour like espresso that was pulled too fast.

I enjoyed the shot, not sure if I want every shot for the next week to taste like it though.

I might be able to let you know more as I get a few more shots into the bag. I would say though that it would be safer to try one of the other bags from them first if you don't like overly bright. My next bag from them will probably be the traditional.

Dpablo

#52: Post by Dpablo »

I think the grapefruit and other citrus notes will
mellow with age, if they haven't already. I would experiment with a slightly lower pressure shot over a longer period of time and higher than usual extraction yield, too. This usually makes base notes pop for me.

Flair Espresso: handcrafted espresso. cafe-quality shots, anytime, anywhere
Sponsored by Flair Espresso
Ken5
Supporter ♡

#53: Post by Ken5 »

Dpablo wrote:I think the grapefruit and other citrus notes will
mellow with age, if they haven't already.
Thanks d'paul!

Honestly I really enjoyed that shot and I am hoping to have another one like it again at some point. It has mellowed out, maybe aging, maybe because the shot ran a little faster than I usually do. Even considering that, I have not had any objectionable tastes from these beans yet, which I am happy about as BW recommends no lower than 204 for these beans as they say that these are light beans compared to other roasters. Seems that my robot is handling them well so far, though I wonder how it will do with the Jorge Esteve as these are even lighter than the original.

What temperature do you have your machine set to for the BW roasts?

chanty 77 (original poster)

#54: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

I am waiting for a 12 oz. of Olympia Sweetheart blend because someone had really talked highly of that one--so thought I would try it. I am interested in trying both the Natural and Classic from B&W with guidance from a member & company. I used to enjoy ALL nuances of chocolates, but now that solely in a blend has truly become blahsy and boring to me. I only typically have one cappuccino per day/night due to how my body reacts to caffeine, and not worth having decaffeinated as I don't even have it til about 3-4pm anyway. It consists of two double shots (17.5-18.5g per double shot, output--32-35g, 25-30 seconds) in about 4-5oz. steamed microfoam with some froth on top. I pull my shots by color and start timing the shot when first drop comes out. If it starts getting too light/blonding, I shut it off. I rarely have done the ratio thing, but I have weighed the cup after and before the espresso to come up with about 32-35g of liquid. Again, to me the important thing is & what works for me is watching how fast it comes out & the color of the espresso. Typically I need to stop it at 25-30 seconds. I'm very careful of how much steamed milk (part 1/2&1/2 & part whole milk) I put in the espresso as even a teeny bit more than I intended will make it taste more milk than espresso flavor. I must have the espresso flavors punching through the milk.
It appears that for B&W most of the brew temps they suggest is quite high at 204°--maybe because it is a lighter medium. Most of the time I use anywhere from 198-202°. One blend I"m using that is local right now is Hawthorne's Revival. I get a little too much acidic under 201°. Some of my other blends are better at 198-199° or they taste too 'roasty/bitter'.

Jeff
Team HB

#55: Post by Jeff »

You can't compare temperatures on a commercial machine (roasters' suggestions) to those on a home machine directly. Too many differences that a single number can't cover, unless you've got a commercial Linea or whatever at home. Same for dose and yield.

What I find worthwhile is a generic "cooler/normal/warmer" and "shorter/normal/longer" compared to the other recommendations from the same roaster. You can use those relating to your own "normal" to get a reasonable starting point.

Dpablo

#56: Post by Dpablo »

Ken5 wrote:Thanks d'paul!

Honestly I really enjoyed that shot and I am hoping to have another one like it again at some point. It has mellowed out, maybe aging, maybe because the shot ran a little faster than I usually do. Even considering that, I have not had any objectionable tastes from these beans yet, which I am happy about as BW recommends no lower than 204 for these beans as they say that these are light beans compared to other roasters. Seems that my robot is handling them well so far, though I wonder how it will do with the Jorge Esteve as these are even lighter than the original.

What temperature do you have your machine set to for the BW roasts?
A lot depends on extraction style. For lighter roasts, if I'm aiming for normale territory, I use the higher temps (as high as 205) recommended by BW along with a high flow preinfusion. However, for anything greater than 1:2 and/or greater than 30 seconds, I'll use a lower temp, usually no higher than 199. I also use lower temps if I'm using lower pressure.

#57: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

I'm gonna have to order something within the next few days, and I'm just (sorry) a little nervous about the B&W blends. Everything I've searched seems to say they are quite a bit lighter than typical Medium roasts. I do not care for light roasts. So may end up ordering Nossa's Full Cycle this time around.

Baratza: skilled in the art of grinding
Sponsored by Baratza
mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#58: Post by mgwolf »

You might try La Colombe Nizza. Reasonable and the few times I've bought it, quite nice medium to medium/dark. Not sour at all.

#59: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

Opened up at 6 day post roast the Olympia Sweetheart blend yesterday. Playing around with the brew temp on this one. Getting some cherry mixed with what I think is chocolate. Had it set to 200° yesterday--was a tad acidic (a little more than I like), so today bumped it to 201°. I'm on the fence. Seems when I first sip it, a little bitter, but then I'm also tasting flavors of cherry which I'm enjoying. Since this is only Day 7 post roast, maybe it will just get better with time. I only bought a 12 oz. bag as I never buy larger if just trying a new blend.

cpreston

#60: Post by cpreston »

I recently tried Amsterdam from Joe Coffee in NYC. It's medium dark but multilayered in flavor. They claim

We select the components for this coffee for their ability to stand up to a more developed roast, without ever tasting over-roasted or smoky. Instead, we pull out classic notes of chocolate, nut, and toffee.
It's my favorite comfort blend so far.