Looking for a very flavorful medium to medium-dark roasted coffee - Page 5

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
elkayem

#41: Post by elkayem »

What is the issue with oil on the beans? I've had plenty of tasty roasts with surface oil that would fall in the medium-dark range.

chanty 77 (original poster)

#42: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

Dpablo wrote:This roast would probably qualify as "medium-light" for most other roasteries. There's absolutely no surface oil. I've had plenty of their offerings, though they were all seasonal and unavailable today. To call them competent roasters would be a dramatic understatement. Give them a try.
Is this all in my "head" that lighter roasts are harder & more finicky to dial in? I typically don't care for roasts that are lighter than medium. Are you saying their mediums are even lighter than a normal medium? Thx

Advertisement

#43: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

elkayem wrote:What is the issue with oil on the beans? I've had plenty of tasty roasts with surface oil that would fall in the medium-dark range.

I don't like how the oil affects/gums up the grinder, and I don't care for darker roasts--too roasty/bitter for my taste.

Dpablo

#44: Post by Dpablo »

chanty 77 wrote:Is this all in my "head" that lighter roasts are harder & more finicky to dial in? I typically don't care for roasts that are lighter than medium. Are you saying their mediums are even lighter than a normal medium? Thx
It's not a Nordic roast- not even close. It is on the lighter end of medium. It will pull like a Northern Italian blend.

Ken5

#45: Post by Ken5 »

I ordered the Jorge Esteve and the original last night, was shipped today. Should get it tomorrow or Thursday. :)

I see that the Jorge Esteve is no longer listed on their site, got last batch?

Looking forward to trying them.

Ken

Dpablo

#46: Post by Dpablo replying to Ken5 »

Congrats! I'll note that this coffee needs some time to degas- 5 days is probably ideal, although I got into it after 3.

#47: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

Ken5 wrote:I ordered the Jorge Esteve and the original last night, was shipped today. Should get it tomorrow or Thursday. :)

I see that the Jorge Esteve is no longer listed on their site, got last batch?

Looking forward to trying them.

Ken
Ken, can you let me know what you think of the Original (B&W) when you try it. I see it has honey (yum), citrus & chocolate notes. The ones I've been eyeballing are the Natural (Choc, berries, balanced)--Medium Dark & the Traditional (dark choc., marzipan &cherries)--Dark. Now, normally I would never order dark espresso as I (for my tastebuds anyway) just taste bitter, burnt flavors. Yet, since B&W from what I have been told by Dpablo & the company--their darks & med. darks are typically lighter than the traditional. I don't mind citrus in my espresso if it isn't overly acidic/bright. Thanks.

Advertisement
italianfiddle

#48: Post by italianfiddle »

Speaking of B&W, I just pulled an amazing shot of their Bavyeyi (varietal bourbon, and washed). It's described as a medium roast. Super balanced and really interesting. On my pre-mil (1979) Pavoni, I did 14g in, 29 out, grind set around 11 on the Niche.
soli coffea gloria
LMWDP #708

Ken5

#49: Post by Ken5 »

chanty 77 wrote:Ken, can you let me know what you think of the Original (B&W) when you try it. I see it has honey (yum), citrus & chocolate notes.
Okay... got tired of my half full bag of beans I still have left, so I opened the 'original' 5 days after roast. Bag states bright citrus, rich honey and chocolate. This is the first time I tasted all the notes listed on a bag of beans! Still feel like I ate a grapefruit with honey a half hour after finishing the shot. I enjoyed it!

Curious to see how the next shots will be. This shot ran slightly faster than I usually go for, and is still very close to roast. Typically I am not a citrus kind of drinker, this is very citrusy, BUT not acidic or sour. Drinking the shot was a nice experience, question will be if I want the next 18 shots the same.

Thanks Dpablo for recommending it!

#50: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) replying to Ken5 »

Very interesting. This has me wanting to try a bag after I get the Olympia Sweetheart in the mail. I"m trying to figure out the grapefruit not being acidic/sour.