Looking for a "user friendly" coffee to dial in my pourover

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
dfinn

#1: Post by dfinn »

I've been struggling to get pour over figured out for a few months now. I think one of the issues I have is that I've been trying different roasters and beans every 2 weeks. I probably should pick one and stick to it. The problem is that nothing yes has wow'd me yet. This probably has more to do with something on my end than the roasters. I think my favorite so far has been Stumptowns Finca El Injerto. I was going to go back to that but I figured it's worth asking on here if there a coffee that is considered user friendly or easy to brew with pour over, specifically a v60 is what I'm currently using?

MikFlores300

#2: Post by MikFlores300 »

I'd find a local coffee shop that you can buy beans from and get a decent cup there. That way you're familiar with what a good brew is and then you can target that at home. Blue Copper is good and Three Pines on Broadway sells Heart as well.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

You might want to look at the water you're using once you settle on a coffee to see what a difference that makes in a good extraction. I treat my RO water source with a home made mixture of baking soda and epsom salts and it has really brought forward flavors that I can't get from RO water alone. I can't use my tap water in my Behmor BraZen brewer due to the hardness / scaling issues.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

dfinn (original poster)

#4: Post by dfinn (original poster) »

Thanks, I have been going down the water road a little bit. Lately I've been using Gerber Pure to rule out any issues with my tap water. I'm about to start using the Perger recipe to see if that gives any improvement over the Gerber Pure.