Looking for a strong Black Currant flavor

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Unrooted

#1: Post by Unrooted »

A couple summers back I was fortunate to find a Kenyan coffee at a small coffee shop in Squamish BC that tasted exactly like Black Currant jam. I'm in the states now and have yet to find a coffee with the same flavor. Anyone tried anything that has this flavor?

jbviau
Supporter ★

#2: Post by jbviau »

Last I checked, George Howell's Mamuto AA or AB, e.g. https://store.georgehowellcoffee.com/co ... kenya.html.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Advertisement
Unrooted (original poster)

#3: Post by Unrooted (original poster) replying to jbviau »

Doesn't look like its available.

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

Blackcurrant flavors in Kenyas develop in medium roasts and are often absent in lighter roasts. I do not recall the Howell roasts of the Mamuto as having a great deal of them. If you are willing to put in the time, you might do a search for medium roasted Kenya coffee, and email the vendors for details. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything among the usual suspects; so this is likely to turn into a project.

I sympathize, since I'm a big fan of the blackcurrant and clove flavors in Kenya coffees, and unless you roast your own, they are hard to find.
Jim Schulman

Unrooted (original poster)

#5: Post by Unrooted (original poster) replying to another_jim »

I do roast my own, but have yet to get those flavors. . .

I did find the roaster (49th Parallel) that i got the great coffee from. . . maybe they'll let me know what the Kenyan was i had from them.

boost

#6: Post by boost »

I just received a bag of Mamuto AB Espresso from George Howell via LM subscription.
The notes say black currant, cherry and plum. I have not tried it yet but it does have strong currant smell, unlike most of other Kenyan which lead me to think they must've roast it darker as Jim said.
I think there will be more discussed here
La Marzocco Home Espresso Subscription - George Howell