Looking for George Howell coffee recommendations - Page 3

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Iowa_Boy

#21: Post by Iowa_Boy »

BaristaBob wrote:Just to let everyone know about my latest order from GH. I placed the order on Labor day, received an email that it was roasted on Wednesday...and the mailman just delivered it today (Friday). That's as impressive as it gets by mail...2 days after roast!!! Of course that's from Boston to Bethlehem, PA...not California...sorry Tom! :(
Nice! What did you get?

Chabeau
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by Chabeau »

Just finished up a bag of GH Guduba filter roast. This is such a good coffee, I just wish I ordered more. It shines as a V60 and as espresso.

FWIW I'm in the Bay Area and received my shipment nine days post roast which is just about the right amount of time of rest for their roasts. It would really take the sting out of shipping if they sold 5lbs bags though.
"The percolations are imminent."

-C.M. Burns, c.1996

BaristaBob (original poster)

#23: Post by BaristaBob (original poster) »

Iowa_Boy wrote:Nice! What did you get?
Nothing fancy, just their Guatemala Antigua. Can't wait to open the bag, but I'll let it rest just a couple of more days.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

toolate

#24: Post by toolate »

Finally got around to drinking Howell Taerazu.
Wondering what i am not doing well. Hand ground setting about the same as my Redbird so that i got about a 25 sec pull. La Pavoni Lever machine.
Crema is extermemly evanescent and thin.
Flavors are pretty good but no " Wow".

Any of you can help me get this one tuned in?

Jdub

#25: Post by Jdub »

I've been drinking GH for the last couple months. Daterra, Tarrazu and Alchemy to be exact. The best daily drinker for me has been Alchemy. Straight espresso. But I will admit that 5 days to get from Boston to NJ is a bit much. They use UPS SurePost. For my area that means UPS delivers to my local post office, a mile down the road, then they deliver to me a day or two later. Not the most ideal way to deliver with time sensitive material in my opinion. Considering that the bag may have been roasted up to 5 days prior to shipping.

Richard

#26: Post by Richard »

Jdub wrote:They [George Howell] use UPS SurePost.
They use whatever you select for them to use. SurePost is one option of many.
-- Richard

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#27: Post by JohnB. »

I'm surprised any roaster would even bother offering UPS Surepost as it is ungodly slow! I see U.S. Mail as the next option. Is that 1st Class or Priority Mail?
LMWDP 267

Dpablo

#28: Post by Dpablo »

LBIespresso wrote:Matalapa. I enjoyed as both espresso and pour over. It freezes well too. Very easy to dial in.
What did you do to tame the acidity in this one? I have two bags and before I crack open the second, I need some parameters and instructions.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#29: Post by LBIespresso replying to Dpablo »

Here are my parameters with a monolith flat with ssp and a cremina with naked pressure gauge:
Matalapa (George Howell) - Frozen

Espresso/Americano - 14 in 22 out in 42 seconds with 12 preinfuse Grind 1.5 Temp 200 Amazing, balanced, bright and chocolatey
Ristretto - 14 in 17 out in 50 with 6/6 preinfuse Grind 1.0 Temp 200 Milk chocolate and Jammy

Preinfusion for 12 seconds then straight to 9bars
6/6 is 6preinfusion followed by a 6 second ramp up to 9 bars.

The whole preinfusion thing for me is the last thing I do to adjust taste or time target so don't worry or try to copy that part. I just cut and pasted my notes so I figured I'd explain.
LMWDP #580