Looking for Chocolate and Easy to Dial in Espresso - Page 18

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
auvgeek

#171: Post by auvgeek »

Also in Colorado with a Niche grinder and some GMC on hand, so this discussion has been very interesting and helpful. Pulling shots with the Londinium LR so no direct temp control.

Just tried the recommendation to go lower with the temp, coarser with the grind, and faster will the pull. Still not perfect -- little sour for me, still, but getting closer to what I remember from sea level.

TomC
Team HB

#172: Post by TomC »

I haven't followed everything in this thread, but GMC and LIonshare from Caffe Lusso require a much higher temp to show their best. Not sure what you've read previously, but the evidence is rather concrete, pull it at a higher temp than what you'd think, and you'll be rewarded.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

auvgeek

#173: Post by auvgeek replying to TomC »

Do you have personal experience pulling shots at altitude, where water boils under 200F?

The evidence is in the cup, and I took the advice from this thread and had a bit better luck at a lower pressure (meaning temp on the LR).

TomC
Team HB

#174: Post by TomC »

Take a look here for clarification.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

auvgeek

#175: Post by auvgeek »

Thanks for the link. Sounds like I ought to try to find a roast that doesn't require high temps, unlike GMC.

Me2

#176: Post by Me2 »

Chatted with Philip at lot a Lusso. GMC should really be at 203-206F, I've taken it down to 195F at the PID, tasted like a tootsie roll.

If you're sour, maybe you should be somewhere between where you were and are.

slybarman

#177: Post by slybarman »

Me2 wrote:Definitely try Big Truck, also try chocolatey Boxcar Stella and Dragonfly Crema Dolce. Had good luck, they seem to be very forgiving maybe because they're roasted in Boulder.
I'm on my second day of Dragonfly Crema Dolce. It is very nice. Very smooth. Very milk chocolately. Compared to Lusso GMC, I find it a bit smoother and bit more of milk chocolate versus GMC being a stronger cocoa type flavor.I am not great at descriptions, but it is very pleasant. I am pulling 18g in a VST basket at 198 degrees and drinking as a latte. Lusso has been my go-to the last few months and this was a good diversion.

shaferdaniel

#178: Post by shaferdaniel »

Thank you for all of these contributions. I too am a chocolate head. Went with Lusso GMC. Working with a Robot if anyone has any brew tips...

Stavey

#179: Post by Stavey »

DE1+ pro /Sette 270 wi . My go to is CF lionshare . In my experience it is extremely forgiving . I've never tried GMC on the Decent but I had a bag delivered today . Roasted on 8/11 so I'll have to wait awhile.