Local roaster espresso roast looks like a light medium?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
luisma

#1: Post by luisma »

Hello Everyone:

I'm a newbie in coffee related matters. Recently purchased some "espresso" roast from local roaster, I understand espresso is not really a roast but an extraction method which happens to have a roaster coffee following a certain roast process.
Typically coffee targeted to be brewed as espresso has a shiny / glossy darker color.
Looking at the pictures of this specific coffee roast doesn't look much like what I'm used too as espresso, the grinder "struggles" more to do its job with this roast.
Does it means this is not that good for espresso extraction?
Any comments are welcome, I'm here to learn and my existing small knowledge could be flawed
Thank you

chanty 77

#2: Post by chanty 77 »

Maybe it is more of a medium-dark roast?? I always buy mostly medium roasts that I use to make espresso. I actually don't care (anymore) for the solely dark roasts. They tend to have mostly a smoky, over-roasted flavor that I just don't enjoy anymore. I find the medium roasts have more dimensions to the flavors than darker roasts. My opinion, just my opinion of course. I only drink my espresso in cappuccinos though. Only about 5 ounces of steamed, microfoam milk--where the two double shots of espresso can punch through with flavor.

SteveRhinehart

#3: Post by SteveRhinehart »

"Espresso roast" just means that the roaster intends it to be used for espresso. It does not mean it needs to be darkly colored, oily, or any certain flavor profile - though certainly some cultural preferences or conventions might say otherwise. There are many, many roasters who roast very lightly for espresso, and many, many roasters who roast darkly, and many in the middle. From your photos, I would consider this a light-medium roast. The bean surface is mottled, the chaff in the center seams is light, the beans have no visible surface oil, and don't appear to have expanded or puffed up a good deal. I'd guess they finished first crack and were cooled before hitting second crack.

I'd personally be more than happy to use this for espresso myself. Most coffees I buy for espresso look about this light, sometimes lighter.
★ Helpful