Light Roasts - Are they losing their luster? - Page 3

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.

For espresso, what is your preferred coffee roast level?

Light
32%
Medium
56%
Dark
11%
No preference
1%

Total votes: 184

Spitz.me

#21: Post by Spitz.me »

I think we'll start seeing new interest because of new machines like DECENT, Bianca and modified BDB920s.

I've never been able to use my equipment to make a lighter roasted coffee really pleasurable over the duration of the bag. So, I'd have fashionably tasty shots in cafes, but I stopped experimenting with these at home long ago. It was super interesting when I first found the rabbit hole, but chasing great tasting lighter roasts was a waste for me (I didn't have the patience) and I didn't prefer them to the chocolate-bomb old skool blends anyway.

Fast forward to today - about 5 years later - and I have a BDB that can flow profile (even better after I modify it) and a Baratza Vario with steel burrs that was relegated to non-espresso prep 6 years ago that I'm excited to try using for espresso prep with my new capabilities (it may be terribly misaligned and it may be a disaster). This also means that I'm back into experimenting and buying the coffees I would have ignored for home use just 3 months ago.

There are now more espresso machine options that are more easily attainable that allow us to experiment with new technology at home. I believe there'll be an uptick in interest on HB as more people flock to these new machines that provide an experimental platform.
LMWDP #670

coryforsenate

#22: Post by coryforsenate »

From a drinking perspective, I generally prefer medium to dark roasts. And I wish more "third wave" cafes would offer coffee made with something other than light to medium light roasts.

Those of us who prefer coffee to have a medium to full body with roasty flavors like nuttiness, brown sugar, chocolate, molasses, dried fruit, and baking spices will not be ashamed!!!