Light-ish espresso

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Elliot
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Elliot » Nov 03, 2019, 8:16 am

Hi all-

I've looked at the massive favorite blend post, but am looking for something rather specific.

I prefer light roasts pretty much across the board. Favorite coffees come from Wendelboe. I tend to like SO coffees as well.

To the point: looking for something light-ish (doesn't have to be Wendelboe or Sey territory) that would be easy to make with the Cafelat Robot. I know that temperature management becomes an issue with lighter roasts, so looking at pushing up the roast just a touch.

Open to blends as well, as experimenting is half the fun.

Long story short, not too light but most certainly far from dark coffees that will be lovely as straight espresso and don't require the more difficult to manage temperature requirements of Nordic roasts. Phew. :)

MB

#2: Post by MB » Nov 03, 2019, 11:08 am

Check out Olympia.
LMWDP #472

[creative nickname]
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by [creative nickname] » Nov 03, 2019, 12:06 pm

I find that light roasts of natural-process coffees often yield tasty shots with lower brew temps. I'm having great results right now with a lightly roasted Brazil Daterra natural from Passenger.

https://www.passengercoffee.com/products/daterra

I also got one of their blends to try; I'll let you know if that might also fit your bill once I test drive it a bit.
LMWDP #435

LBIespresso

#4: Post by LBIespresso » Nov 03, 2019, 1:18 pm

LMWDP #580

Ben C

#5: Post by Ben C » Nov 03, 2019, 5:34 pm

Is Wendelboe more forgiving than typical light roasts? I should be receiving my first Wendelboe beans in the mail any day now.

Elliot
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Elliot » Nov 03, 2019, 7:29 pm

This sounds like a very smart idea! Have always enjoyed GH.

Elliot
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Elliot » Nov 03, 2019, 7:31 pm

Ben C wrote:Is Wendelboe more forgiving than typical light roasts? I should be receiving my first Wendelboe beans in the mail any day now.
Depends on use case. So, in my experience, it's really just about getting the temperature up. Otherwise, I've had no issues brewing Wendelboe for Aeropress, V60 or on my Cremina. And, so far, the coffee I receive from his shop is the best I've ever had.

However, I recently added a Cafelat Robot to the mix and temperature management is a little more of a challenge. Assuming you're using something more "typical," I find their coffee to be very easy to work with.

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by baldheadracing » Nov 03, 2019, 7:47 pm

Ben C wrote:Is Wendelboe more forgiving than typical light roasts? I should be receiving my first Wendelboe beans in the mail any day now.
In the last video that I have seen, in his shop they use a 3-phase Robur (83mm burrs) and a LM Linea PB volumetric set at 110psi/7.6bar and 200F/93.5C. He uses Oslo tap water, which is quite soft. 20g in a 20g VST filter, about 40g out, in around 30 seconds, depending on coffee. 19.5%-20% EY.

Everything looks pretty standard to me except the lower brew pressure.
What I'm interested in is my worst espresso being fantastic - James Hoffmann

nuketopia

#9: Post by nuketopia » Nov 05, 2019, 11:08 pm

I really liked Dragonfly Roasters Leam Hammer.

It's been discussed a lot on H-B. It's quite good and easy to pull in my experience.

michael

#10: Post by michael » Nov 06, 2019, 9:10 am

I like lean hammer but it seems a little different these days

does anyone have a recipe for the current release 8)