Light-ish espresso - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Dpablo

#11: Post by Dpablo »

My favorite light roast espresso, hands down, is Cat and Cloud's The Truth. It has this amazing floral and bergamot quality to it. I find it strange to see it discussed so infrequently considering how popular this roaster is here on HB.

Elliot (original poster)

#12: Post by Elliot (original poster) replying to Dpablo »

Already a huge fan of Cat & Cloud so may have to give this a try!

michael

#13: Post by michael »

Dpablo wrote:My favorite light roast espresso, hands down, is Cat and Cloud's The Truth. It has this amazing floral and bergamot quality to it. I find it strange to see it discussed so infrequently considering how popular this roaster is here on HB.
What's your recipe 8)

Dpablo

#14: Post by Dpablo »

18g:27g at 198 degrees, extended preinfusion (>10 seconds), 25-30 second shot.

[creative nickname]

#15: Post by [creative nickname] »

I recently got some of The Truth from C&C and I have been enjoying it a lot. But I wouldn't recommend it for someone who is hunting for something that is Scandinavian-light. It is more in the light-medium range. You can get great shots at moderate parameters and brew ratios without having to fuss with lengthy preinfusions or extra fine grinds. (It is a blend with 15% Brazil in it which may explain its easy-going nature.)

In this respect it reminds me of Leam Hammer from Dragonfly, albeit it with more floral character and a bit less fruit.
LMWDP #435

Elliot (original poster)

#16: Post by Elliot (original poster) replying to [creative nickname] »

Well, the genesis of the thread is to avoid some of the lengthy pre-infusions and temperature. On my Cremina, I'll push over 200°F and do a 25+ second preinfusion with the Wendelboe stuff I use. So... flavor profile in the neighborhood (fruit, light), but easy brewing on the Robot and, of course, therefore enjoyable as straight espresso.

[creative nickname]

#17: Post by [creative nickname] »

Fair enough! In that case give The Truth-or Leam Hammer-a try.
LMWDP #435