Lean Hammer vs Crème Dolce by Dragonfly

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Tacit37

#1: Post by Tacit37 »

I finally got a chance to try Dragonfly coffee after reading so much about them. I bought 3 types of beans from them. I was actually surprised that Crème Dolce was kind of just good to me, and the one that stood out was Lean Hammer. Anyone else have this experience?

I'm learning how to articulate what makes one coffee preferable over the other. Crème Dolce just didn't seem to have anything stand out note wise. It was good but wasn't wow.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by Milligan »

I felt the same way about Crème Dolce. I had it side by side with Monarch from Onyx and remember enjoying Monarch much more. I haven't had Lean Hammer. I tried their Terre Celesti as a drip brew and it was fine. Tasted like a good house blend, but really that should be all that is expected of that one. I may give them another shot soon.

Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

Even among espresso blends, there is a wide range of styles. Some are darker, lighter, some with robusta, without. Then there are more subtle differences that sometimes you can get a hint about from the roasters' comments about the beans used for the blend.

What you may be tasting that you enjoy in the Leam Hammer is a combination of a slightly less dark roast (more "bean" flavor, less "roast" flavor) with some of the flavors from "natural" processing of the South American and African beans blended in. When the fruit has a chance to ferment a bit as it dries, there are often some of the "fruity" flavors in the resulting coffee.
Dragonfly on Leam Hammer wrote:This blend of three coffees includes a fully washed Central America (all fruit residue removed from beans before drying), a pulped-natural from South America (only skin removed before drying) and a natural-processed coffee from East Africa (all the fruit remains on the beans during drying).
Paying attention to the contents of a blend, when there is some information about it, can help guide you when looking at new offerings.

("Natural" processed isn't any healthier, it just refers to how the coffee was dried.)

gobucks

#4: Post by gobucks »

I stocked up during a recent $25 off $100 sale, so I got 5lb of crema dulce and 1kg of leam hammer. I started with the crema dulce, kept the leam hammer closed for freshness, but now I'm almost through the crema dulce so I will likely open the leam hammer to compare. At first I really liked the crema dulce, I picked up a lot of nutty (peanut buttery?) notes and some warm baking spices. Now that I'm nearing the end of the bag, I still like it, but I am finding it a bit less exciting. It's pretty pleasant in shots, but it doesn't cut through milk quite as much as I'd hoped. I'm hoping for a little more complexity out of the Leam Hammer. BTW, does anyone have a recipe they like for it?

Tacit37 (original poster)

#5: Post by Tacit37 (original poster) »

Yes, the more I experience beans, the more I see myself leaning towards light roast for the subtle notes that can show up.

I think you're right, for a milk drink, creme dolce is a bit washed out.

Please update on what you think of the hammer.

Plinyyounger
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Plinyyounger »

I drink Hammer often, it's very good. I'm starting to move away from light roast now, but hammer is a favorite for me. It has the berry flavor which is sought after so often. Good stuff.
Family, coffee and fun.

CarreraRSR

#7: Post by CarreraRSR »

Interestingly we prefer crema dolce over leam hammer.

We had some people over to our beach house who claimed to be coffee snobs (buy supermarket coffee) and they claimed leam hammer was the best coffee they've had (after Starbucks of course).

Airbornewilly
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Airbornewilly »

It's been a while since I have tried Creme Dolce but I do not remember being a big fan. I guess I should give it another go. Whole Foods had Leam Hammer less than 2 weeks post-roast for $14.99/12oz bag so I grabbed a few. Overall it has been enjoyable for a blend. I would buy it again. Interestingly, I prefer it pulled as a tight ristretto and lower temp. Currently doing 8 sec of pre-brew on the Slayer, 20g in, 21-24g out in around 35 sec at 198.5 degrees. On the Dragonfly website they recommend to pull a 1:2 (21g in, 42g out). I found that to be bland, if not bitter and lacking sweetness. Full disclosure- this has been with my new Versalab M4 and I have noticed that most beans are tasting better at shorter ratios. I typically only drink light or light-medium roast. Haven't tried anything darker on the M4 yet.

I also tried their SO Panama. Very vibrant flavors. A little bit of grassy undertones but that could probably be reduced/eliminated with a proper dial-in. I will definitely give that another shot as well. If you can find it at Whole Food it is a bargain. Also only $14.99/bag. It is $24.50 direct from Dragonfly!

F1

#9: Post by F1 »

Rest time on Leam Hammer?

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#10: Post by Milligan replying to F1 »

Mine has rested 5 days in the bag unfrozen. Pulled my first today and it was a little heavy on crema but enjoyable. I agree with Airbournewillie, of the three shots I've pulled so far the leaner ratio of 1.5 was by far the best. First two were 16g in 32g out at 30s and 40s (adjusting grind including slight "preinfusion" the GS3 does due to flow restriction.). The last as 16g in and 24g out at 30s with a 200F brew temp. Very tasty. Right when I opened the bag I could see the Ethiopian beans, very distinct. I feel like you can really throw a fine grind at these before they get bitter. Glad I bought the 1kilo, this will be a fun bean.

FWIW, I through a bag of the Vesuvius in the order too. Wowzers they aren't playing around. They are daaaarrk. Too much for me.