La Marzocco Home Espresso Subscription: Recent experiences - Page 4

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
DreCla
Supporter ♡

#31: Post by DreCla »

I was really intrigued by their recipe recommendation for the Downtown- 60 g output in 21 secs at 5 bar. Was radical for me but I was up for trying it. I was getting none of the flavor notes- seemed more like old school drip coffee maker- tasted fine. I have more time today and plan to decrease ratio from 1:3.

PaulTheRoaster

#32: Post by PaulTheRoaster »

This isn't the first month where the brewing parameters seemed a bit far-fetched. Especially for a blend. And the SO has nearly identical parameters but slightly different timing ... These numbers seem more suited for a DE1 and a giant flat-burr grinder.

Anyways, I pulled the blend normale style: 18 in, 27 out, 8.5 bar. About 30 seconds. Great body, sweetness, and nuttiness. Tasted like a Central American dry-processed shot.

PaulTheRoaster

#33: Post by PaulTheRoaster »

I had a couple so-so shots of the Guatemala Honey SO at normale ratios, then went longer. At 2.5:1 after the cup cools a little the notes are spot on. I get a nice marmalade with a hint of chocolate. This normally sells for $29/11 oz and we got an extra oz!

Fitz454

#34: Post by Fitz454 »

PaulTheRoaster wrote:This isn't the first month where the brewing parameters seemed a bit far-fetched. Especially for a blend. And the SO has nearly identical parameters but slightly different timing ... These numbers seem more suited for a DE1 and a giant flat-burr grinder.

Anyways, I pulled the blend normale style: 18 in, 27 out, 8.5 bar. About 30 seconds. Great body, sweetness, and nuttiness. Tasted like a Central American dry-processed shot.
Yeah, with the Micra, I went standard extraction, 17.5G - 30 secs - 35G. Went well with some sweetness, some herb I couldn't recognize, and great body. I was really wondering how 60G out would work.

Ben Z.

#35: Post by Ben Z. »

My espresso cup doesn't even hold that much!

I didn't notice the pressure recommendation. I don't think I feel like messing with it. Strange that la marzocco would approve that since it's a PITA with machines like the micra and mini.

My delivery was way later than previous months. Just got it today. Have just tried the blend so far. The description on the website for one of them was leftover from last month.

caeffe

#36: Post by caeffe »

I also received this months order much later than usual on May 11, with a roast date of May 1.
In order to mimic the recipe as stated for the Guatemala Orange Honey had to set my Major to grind much coarser than usual for espressos. Took me a couple of tries with my DE1PRO using the Gentle and Sweet at 5 Bar max and with stop at volume at 60g, 93C. I normally use the adaptive profile but was unsure how to set preinfusion to be only 1.5 seconds.
LMWDP #162

Fitz454

#37: Post by Fitz454 »

Hmmm... my first month doing the subscription. I got mine on the 11th but had a roast date of May 9th.

dparrish
Supporter ♡

#38: Post by dparrish »

caeffe wrote:I also received this months order much later than usual on May 11, with a roast date of May 1.
In order to mimic the recipe as stated for the Guatemala Orange Honey had to set my Major to grind much coarser than usual for espressos. Took me a couple of tries with my DE1PRO using the Gentle and Sweet at 5 Bar max and with stop at volume at 60g, 93C. I normally use the adaptive profile but was unsure how to set preinfusion to be only 1.5 seconds.

Tried the 5 bar and 1:3 ratio (197 F) for the Guatemala Orange Honey. This is something I'm now able to do with the GS3 MP. I'm also trying out my new Max2. Nice flavor separation and notes! Works great as a milk drink (great straight up as well)...chocolate and orange. I was overall impressed and ordered some more :).

sixysixss
Supporter ♡

#39: Post by sixysixss »

Anyone receive the July subscription yet?

flyingtoaster

#40: Post by flyingtoaster replying to sixysixss »

Nope