La Marzocco Home Espresso Subscription - Onda Origins

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
nuketopia

#1: Post by nuketopia »

Received this month's La Marzocco espresso, Onda Origins from Guatamala a couple of days ago.

My bags show a roast date of 1/9/2020. The roaster's recommendation is for 2 weeks rest time, 20g-in/38g-out in 27 seconds, 200F at 6 Bars.

Got into it today, with only 8 days post roast. My LMLM is set at 9 bar as well.

First impressions - probably needs several more days of rest to peak. It is only 8 days post roasting, so another week is recommended. The initial couple of shots dialing in were on the bright side, but I think that indicates the need for more time resting. The roast level appears medium-light, in line with other modern espresso beans. I think it will rest out with good fruit notes and a nice balance, but only time will tell.

pcrussell50

#2: Post by pcrussell50 »

Another 6 bar recommendation in two months. Interesting. But I have at-will, 6 bar capability, so I'll start there. I'm a little behind burning through some other coffee so that might time nicely with the recommended rest.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Advertisement
nuketopia (original poster)

#3: Post by nuketopia (original poster) »

Settling in now with a little more post roast time.

Nice "winey" flavors coming through, less bright and more even. Running 20g dose and 38 out, total time of about 38-40s, with 28-30 of flow time on the LMLM, temperature around 201.

Looking forward to this as it settles in next few days.

nuketopia (original poster)

#4: Post by nuketopia (original poster) »

I think the coffee has about peaked at this point post rest.

I'm making this at the recommended spec, but a little bit lower water temp and 9-bar, as I don't care to open the LMLM and adjust it down.

I'd still say "wine" like flavors, overextraction heads toward a mild bitterness that's not offensive. Easy to pull coffee, modest amount of fruit notes and a bit of apple on the nose. Works well in milk, ok as a shot, medium to light body.

danny31292

#5: Post by danny31292 »

The coffee has a been a bit odd. I've had shots that were bitter and roasty and ones that were under extracted and acidic. I'm using 15g in a VST basket with ~28g out. I'm running a medium flow preinfusion, the pressure spikes to 9 bar for ~5s and then I adjust the flow to keep it at 6 bar for the remainder of the ~33s extraction. I agree with nuketopia's wine like and mild bitterness when bordering on under and over extraction respectively. When pulled just right, its a bit... boring. Not sure if its the 6 bar extraction.

clc12rock

#6: Post by clc12rock »

I've pulled prolly 6 shots with this coffee. 18g in (they recommended a smaller dose before two weeks past roast date) and 37-38g out in ~30sec at 6-7 bar. I'm getting really strong nutty/almond notes more than anything. Not much fruit. Gonna switch to a 20g dose moving forward.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#7: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

pcrussell50 wrote:Another 6 bar recommendation in two months. Interesting. But I have at-will, 6 bar capability, so I'll start there. I'm a little behind burning through some other coffee so that might time nicely with the recommended rest.

-Peter
time to leave some out for Santa

He likes red

Said the the demon stalker :evil:
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart