La Marzocco Home Espresso Subscription - Middle State - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
nuketopia (original poster)

#11: Post by nuketopia (original poster) »

I didn't have a large basket handy, just a 20 and an 18 VST. They worked ok, tried several doses of smaller sizes. What seemed to work best was "intentional" attempts at over-extraction. It needs more rest I'm pretty sure, so a few more days.

#12: Post by nuketopia (original poster) »

Finished off the German Cordoba. Final thoughts - while this can make a nice cup, it's a lot of work and a pretty ill-behaved bean. It really requires that huge dose and a fine grind to come out and honestly, don't think it was worth the effort. I don't know if a different roasting profile would have worked better or not. I tried smaller doses and found the bean just doesn't behave very well, prone to channeling with less than 20g dose no matter the grind.

The "Landspeed" blend of Ethiopian beans is more stable and amenable to work with. I'm pulling the roaster's recommended profile with a little longer pull time, since I don't have a dedicated pre-infusion method on my equipment. Running 22g a shot is pretty extravagant, so getting around 15 shots a bag, rather than about 19. I may try some small doses to see how it behaves.

caeffe

#13: Post by caeffe replying to nuketopia »

Larry-
thx for your thoughts on German Cordoba - I've yet to open this pkg. Good to know that this requires a large dose - I may actually have a triple/quad basket somewhere that I might have to use.
With regards to Landspeed I'm finding it works ok with lower doses - as I mentioned previously I've been pulling it with ~18-20g and get decent results. My palate is not yet sensitive enough to note fine flavor notes (I can't quite discern the "apple" notes) but I compare to my daily driver of Malabar Gold / Intelligetsia Black Cat it is to me a lighter roast with some chocolate that is on the milky side (ie not dark).
LMWDP #162

#14: Post by nuketopia (original poster) replying to caeffe »

Got to play with the Landspeed some more today. It's well behaved and works well at 18g doses. Haven't got it optimized yet, but it is good.

danny31292

#15: Post by danny31292 »

nuketopia wrote:Finished off the German Cordoba. Final thoughts - while this can make a nice cup, it's a lot of work and a pretty ill-behaved bean. It really requires that huge dose and a fine grind to come out and honestly, don't think it was worth the effort. I don't know if a different roasting profile would have worked better or not. I tried smaller doses and found the bean just doesn't behave very well, prone to channeling with less than 20g dose no matter the grind.

The "Landspeed" blend of Ethiopian beans is more stable and amenable to work with. I'm pulling the roaster's recommended profile with a little longer pull time, since I don't have a dedicated pre-infusion method on my equipment. Running 22g a shot is pretty extravagant, so getting around 15 shots a bag, rather than about 19. I may try some small doses to see how it behaves.
I had the same experience. The Colombia required an extremely fine grind as well as up dosing. I never really got a great shot out of it. I started with a standard 15g in a 15g VST and used a very long low flow pre-infusion. The shot was pretty bitter. Updosing and coursening the grind just gave sour-bitter flavors. Landspeed is much easier to work with. Sweet and flavorful. Still a light roast though.

day

#16: Post by day »

Hi all, so, I decided to purchase the LM subscription coffees separately for a few months and see how it goes. This was my first batch. I will start with my question and then expand with my situation as there are a ton of new variables. Also, just a heads up about Middle State, one of my bags was about .5oz light. I messaged them and they sent me out 100g or so and said they just recently got a new scale so it may have some calibration issues, so, just be aware if your bags are running light. Now, my question is:

So, I am currently dosing 19.2g in a an 18g basket and find I have to grind at about a 4 on my monolith, which seems really fine. Anybody else experiencing this?

So, I haven't been chiming in because I also just got a DE1 v1.3 at the same time the coffee came in, and did not get my tamper until yesterday so was doing it tampless (but using the Kafatek grooming tool). Thus, it was my first time with an actual precision basket, first time with a full size group, first time with the DE1 and first time with the coffee, and no tamper to boot. In addition, I was grinding at about a 5 with 19.5g, and basically choked the machine at 4.5 with 18.9g, then all of a sudden it started gushing at 5 and I had to drop it back to a 4 to get a proper pour. I was worried maybe something damaged the burrs so opened it and cleaned it and didn't see anything, but now I am at a 4...so...whatever that was. Too many variables going on to really know, but the 4 seems awfully fine so was wondering where you guys were at relative to your norms.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

#17: Post by nuketopia (original poster) »

Have about 1 shot's worth of the Landspeed left. Really like this one. Very easy to pull sweet, flavorful shots. I settled on 18g dose and 34g out. No pre-infusion on the LMLM, so i grind it fine enough to get about 5-6 seconds before the flow starts and get a total of a 35-38 seconds of total pump time, of which about 30-32 is actual flow time.

day

#18: Post by day replying to nuketopia »

I do t have much left either but will look at dropping my flow rate down to 1.x and see how it plays out. Also agree that land speed has been the better of the two-from the small group of nonsink shots I pulled:) but I also got a back of the ture waji which made a pretty good pourover.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone